What not hibernating can lead to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
This is a result of over-wintering. Margianata eggs in March!! This is the first clutch ever for this proud mama!!
photo.jpg

And here is mama!
Chichory3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
She's so pretty! I thought they lost all that pretty coloration as they grew older and just turned grey.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Congratulations. Can't wait to see the little guys when they hatch. :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What is the SCL on this lovely lady? She looks pretty large in the photo, and her shell is so smooth and colorful!

Do you think not hibernating made her more fertile or just that being awake created opportunities to mate (though I must say that being "awake" does not seem to be a requirement for the females as much as for the male tortoises)...:p

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
She is about 12 inches SCL and weighed 3003 grams today. I think by not hibernating gave opportunity to mate during the "traditional" hibernation period.

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Thats a good looking tortoise. She looks a lot like the ones I got from Richard Fife 10 years ago.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
All 5 eggs look like this now.
P3120015.jpg

I am pretty sure this is a GOOD sign. :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I do like the fact that the yolk has settled, :) but I've never had an egg chalk from the side. It's always been from the top or just go white all over.

Danny

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
All do appear completely white, like the fertile Pancake eggs. I guess time will tell. I think I can see vessels in 3 of them. I will candle again in another week or so.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
egyptiandan said:
I do like the fact that the yolk has settled, :) but I've never had an egg chalk from the side. It's always been from the top or just go white all over.

Danny

Yes.. from the top and then over a short time the egg is translucent.. virtually opaque.

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tim/Robin said:
All do appear completely white, like the fertile Pancake eggs. I guess time will tell. I think I can see vessels in 3 of them. I will candle again in another week or so.

Tim/Robyn maybe you can sneak them into work and use the ultrasound machine on them. Just a blonde thought. :D

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
They don't all develop the same, for sure you got 3 good ones. Last year I incubated my Marginatas at 89F, about 6 of them had extra scutes. This temp works out fine for my Russians.
If I incubate any this year, I'm going to try 88F

Keep us updated
Dan

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Well, one of the 5 is developing. The rest are clearly infertile.

After 2 days of pacing and clearly about ready to nest, this is what I uncovered today.....
4-7-10005.jpg

YES, 8 eggs. WOW. Now mama tort is resting and eating, finally a bit more room for food in there.
Notice the small one, it is 6 grams. One of the others weighed 14 grams. Anyone had experience hatching one from a clutch that is noticeably smaller? Do I assume it is no good? It went in the incubator with the rest and time will tell. :D

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Tim,
Congrats on the new eggs. I have hatched a clutch of box turtle eggs where one was quite a bit smaller than the others. Just had a smaller hatchling in it. He/she did survive though. Just kept him/her away from the siblings and raised it alone till it caught up in size. Just my experience.

Take care,
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.