What other animals get along with tortoises?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This can change at any moment.

Don't risk your tortoise's life. Keep the dogs and tortoise separate.
WE have many, many threads about dogs that got along with tortoises....And then something bad happens.
Don't risk it.

Last edited:

daniellenc

Maryland
Unfortunately if people choose to take the risk it’s their choice. She asked a question and got an answer. The rest is on her.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a very sweet two pound dog and an eleven pound tortoise.
But the tortoise looks like a chew toy to a dog.
Eventually a dog's gotta be a dog.
You and your dog are social creatures. Pack animals (Mammals) that need and want company. (Most of us anyway)
It's hard at first to think like a tortoise. But they truly want to be left alone.

daniellenc

Maryland
Sorry guys for freaking out. I guess I just don’t like criticism!
It’s ok no one does. Hello we should all be told we’re perfect and awesome all day. But hey we also all love our torts so if we see something dangerous we say something. It doesn’t come from a mean place I promise. It’s all love and concern. Welcome btw post pics of your cutie if you get a chance we love drooling over tort pics!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry guys for freaking out. I guess I just don’t like criticism!
Its pretty normal to feel defensive when you are told you are doing something "wrong". I didn't see any of this as criticism. I see it as a group of people who have seen bad things happen trying to warn a like-minded friend about a potentially devastating problem. None of us ever want to see another dog-mauling thread. Its just awful and so easily prevented. We stand to gain nothing by arguing with you or upsetting you. We just don't wan to see your tortoise harmed because you didn't know better. There was a time when none of us knew better. We were all where you are.

Hope your day has been great, and hope to see you around here on the forum! :)

hollygaucas

Manchester
It has come to my interest that Pickles skin seems to be peeling. Does anyone know why? IMG_1527865663.899373.jpgIMG_1527865680.302781.jpg

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
I would start by educating yourself by reading the care sheets specific its breed.

Most tortoise owners soak their torts regularly which would help old skin slough off.