What part of the plant does your tort enjoy most?

Erisna

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I’ve noticed that lately whenever I feed Tesla whole leaf greens (endive etc.), she almost immediately runs right for the white crunchy part at the base. Today I put what was left of an endive head in with her without breaking off the leaves; she ate the darkest green bits then immediately began crunching on the base, ignoring the bits in between. (She eventually ate the whole thing, though!) So it’s got me curious, do your torts have a favorite part of their plants to eat?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
If I give any lettuces, they go for the white as it has the most strong, enticing smell and taste. I have now realized that their favorite non lettuce/ non store bought green is mulberry leaves!
IMG_2694 (3).jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
So freakin cute...it's funny how we take so many photos of our tortoises eating...tort people are so weird...
Tortoise people are really a different kind of people.. I have so many pics and vids of my tortoises eating. Imagine if someone had pictures and videos of their dog eating from it's bowl... completely different ?

L

LasTortugasNinja

Mine LOVES radicchio. He tosses his bowl around trying to get every bit first. After he's reasonably certain he ate all the radicchio, he goes back and eats the rest in sessions. My wife and I thought it might be the color he likes. We had some flowers very close in color to radicchio. He RAN for the flowers, took a huge bite, then used his tongue and claws to spit it out. Was NOT what he wanted! He's got very picky tastebuds!

L

LasTortugasNinja

Stuart (but is female) just destroys anything View attachment 294404

As a former reptile rescuer, I implore you to never let ANY dog... from Chihuahua to Great Dane... to be anywhere near a reptile. All dogs have a sliver of wolf lurking in their veins, and that sliver tells the dog's brain "that is potentially food or a chew toy" and I've seen way too many injuries by dogs who "wouldn't hurt a fly". Even a toy dog can damage an reptile's eye or nip a reptile's artery and cause massive damage. Even if you only allow them to be together under supervision, a dog can bite faster than you can lunge to get him/her.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Tortoise people are really a different kind of people.. I have so many pics and vids of my tortoises eating. Imagine if
As a former reptile rescuer, I implore you to never let ANY dog... from Chihuahua to Great Dane... to be anywhere near a reptile. All dogs have a sliver of wolf lurking in their veins, and that sliver tells the dog's brain "that is potentially food or a chew toy" and I've seen way too many injuries by dogs who "wouldn't hurt a fly". Even a toy dog can damage an reptile's eye or nip a reptile's artery and cause massive damage. Even if you only allow them to be together under supervision, a dog can bite faster than you can lunge to get him/her.
How funny...I immediately had the same reaction...

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I’ve noticed that lately whenever I feed Tesla whole leaf greens (endive etc.), she almost immediately runs right for the white crunchy part at the base. Today I put what was left of an endive head in with her without breaking off the leaves; she ate the darkest green bits then immediately began crunching on the base, ignoring the bits in between. (She eventually ate the whole thing, though!) So it’s got me curious, do your torts have a favorite part of their plants to eat?
Our girl does the same thing. She loves the white crunchy parts, too! Must be like the crunch of potato chips!

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
My sulcata loves anything yellow. He has a preference to joint grass, it never gets to grow to high in his enclosure. Don’t get me wrong he will eat about anything. But he does have his favorites.

L

LasTortugasNinja

ROFLOL... so this morning, I went to make my tort's daily food mix... Opened the salad drawer, and … (cue dramatic music) we are out of radicchio!

So I made him a meal of all his other favorites... dandelion leaves, endive, escarole, mustard greens, mallow, and a bunch of flowers. As colorful as I could get it. I'm watching him on the tort cam... he went to his plate, sniffed it, looked around. Then he starts digging through the food, layer by layer, sniffing. Walks away, goes to the basking spot, looking at his food plate the whole time. Comes back to the food plate, LOOKS RIGHT AT THE CAMERA AND YAWNS!!!!!!! then slowly starts eating the flowers with not nearly the gusto he usually puts into breakfast. I feel soooooo bad. LOL