What percentage of UVB is best for a hermanns?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Depends on what the mounting height is. How high up is your bulb mounted?

Knowing the mounting height will allow other Arcadia12%HO bulb users to give you a guess, but the only way to know what your bulb is doing in your enclosure is to put a meter under it and check it. This is the one to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Depends on what the mounting height is. How high up is your bulb mounted?

Knowing the mounting height will allow other Arcadia12%HO bulb users to give you a guess, but the only way to know what your bulb is doing in your enclosure is to put a meter under it and check it. This is the one to get: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

I'm currently looking into buying one of these. I'm saving up for one because student life lol. My bulb is mounter 16 inches from shell height. with no reflector. I only turn it on for 1 hour a day because he has an MVB which I'll get rid of once I get the solarmeter.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I'm currently looking into buying one of these. I'm saving up for one because student life lol. My bulb is mounter 16 inches from shell height. with no reflector. I only turn it on for 1 hour a day because he has an MVB which I'll get rid of once I get the solarmeter.
Use one or the other. DO NOT use both. Without a Solarmeter, there would be no way to even guess to guide you if you tried to use both in the same enclosure.

With a 12.0 tube, you will probably be good at 16" without a hood. Just be aware so you do not look directly into the bulb while you are reaching into the enclosure. A hood is not just for increasing the amount of UVB directed downwards, but also for keep UVB from shining up into your eyes while looking into the enclosure. I would avoid looking directly into a UVB bulb.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Use one or the other. DO NOT use both. Without a Solarmeter, there would be no way to even guess to guide you if you tried to use both in the same enclosure.

With a 12.0 tube, you will probably be good at 16" without a hood. Just be aware so you do not look directly into the bulb while you are reaching into the enclosure. A hood is not just for increasing the amount of UVB directed downwards, but also for keep UVB from shining up into your eyes while looking into the enclosure. I would avoid looking directly into a UVB bulb.

thank you. BTW once i get my solarmeter what reading should it say for optimum uvb. i think they go from 1-7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you. BTW once i get my solarmeter what reading should it say for optimum uvb. i think they go from 1-7

This is a very debatable subject. No one knows how this works. Is a UVI reading of 1 for 10 hours enough? Or what about a UVI reading of 10 for one hour? How about looking at the UVI readings in the native range of your given species? But what about the habits of a "forest" species which utilizes shade all day? What about a species from tropical Africa that avoids the burning mid day sun, but is now being housed in a cooler temperate climate, so they sit in the sun all day trying to get warm?

For my tortoises, I go with either a UVI of 2-4 all day, or a UVI of 6-7 for 3-4 hours mid day only. As @Markw84 frequently mentions, it is important the they have shaded areas to escape from the UV and bight lights when they want to.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
This is a very debatable subject. No one knows how this works. Is a UVI reading of 1 for 10 hours enough? Or what about a UVI reading of 10 for one hour? How about looking at the UVI readings in the native range of your given species? But what about the habits of a "forest" species which utilizes shade all day? What about a species from tropical Africa that avoids the burning mid day sun, but is now being housed in a cooler temperate climate, so they sit in the sun all day trying to get warm?

For my tortoises, I go with either a UVI of 2-4 all day, or a UVI of 6-7 for 3-4 hours mid day only. As @Markw84 frequently mentions, it is important the they have shaded areas to escape from the UV and bight lights when they want to.

I have plenty of plants in my enclosure and he has a slate hide too. I'll be adding some cork in the future but I'm yet to find a suitable piece for him. I noticed that you use humid hides in your close chambers. I was thinking if using a tupper ware container with cococoir inside will be good for him. I've noticed that the new growth on my hermmans shell is smooth. When I got him he had some pyramiding he was 10 months old at the time he is now 1 year 1 month old.