What Permit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
iowa
i have been looking at the US Fish and wildlife website to find out about permits that i would need to keep cb turtles that are endangered in the wild here in Iowa. im sure it may be like the permits to keep desert torts in Cali, but i just dont know which ones i need and even if US fish and wildlife issues permits to keep cb turtles that are endangered in there native habitats. if any of you have information about this type of thing i would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Wayne

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
im not necessarily looking to get anything yet but i would like to know so if i do decide i would like to care for a species i know what i need to do in terms of licensing. i would be looking to get them from a breeder.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Try calling them and your local fish & wildlife. Here you need permits for natives and there are so many different ones depending on different things. Hunting license, wildlife service permit, holding permit (4got technical name) etc.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If the turtles your looking into getting aren't on the federal endangered or threatened species list, than you don't need a federal permit to possess them.
If they are on the Iowa endangered or threatened species list, than you'll have to go through your state to find out what kind of permits you'll need.
Though most states don't give out permits to possess endangered and threatened state species, no matter whether CB or not.

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If you are looking at federally protected species...
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/whatwedo.html

Radiadeds and Galaps seem to be pretty easy if you are working with a breedeer.

The idea is to get your permit and then you can usually ammend it by adding animals.

Now... if your state requires a permit... it's a catch 22. They will usually issue you a permit if you have a CBW permit but the Fed Gov't will not usually issue you a permit unless you have the animal or show you can care for it.

Ed

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i have contacted my local office in los angeles about getting a CITES Appendix II permit for torts coming in from overseas. they said they would issue a one time permit if i give them 48 hours notice, and i get a CITES permit from the country of origin, showing that they were CD and not WC, and upon inspection the animals were true to what was on the paperwork.

in california, if you want a desert tortoise, you need to have a permit. however, the fish and game says you get the tortoise, then you get the permit. but shelters wont release tortoises without a permit, another catch 22.

just look at see if the tortoise you want is on CITES, and if it is Appendix I or II.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I was wondering who the heck you talked to... then I re read your post and you mentioned AppII animals.

That just to sidestep the import/export permit... which costs $100 and is good for a year. This is also designed for people shipping personal pets.

App I animals... way tougher if you can do it at all... radiateds... forget it... legally.

Ed

spikethebest said:
i have contacted my local office in los angeles about getting a CITES Appendix II permit for torts coming in from overseas. they said they would issue a one time permit if i give them 48 hours notice, and i get a CITES permit from the country of origin, showing that they were CD and not WC, and upon inspection the animals were true to what was on the paperwork.

in california, if you want a desert tortoise, you need to have a permit. however, the fish and game says you get the tortoise, then you get the permit. but shelters wont release tortoises without a permit, another catch 22.

just look at see if the tortoise you want is on CITES, and if it is Appendix I or II.

Status
Not open for further replies.