What plant is this???

ilikemytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
This looks like a very interesting plant and I think my tortoise would love it I just don't know what it is and I kinda don't wanna just give it to her. Anyone have a clue what it is?

Attachments

• 20210330_130808.jpg
    20210330_130808.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
Any flowers with it?
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk may help you ID it from the pictures but it's easier of you have some names to search the datablase.

ilikemytortoise

San Antonio, TX
Hi and welcome.
Any flowers with it?
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk may help you ID it from the pictures but it's easier of you have some names to search the datablase.
Hi and welcome.
Any flowers with it?
No there is alot of those plants in my yard and none of them had flowers, I'll go check that website out. Thank you!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

The Tortoise Table is primarily intended for owners in the U.K. and so won’t always have info on plants we have here in North America so don’t be surprised if you can’t find a hit.

It’s easiest for someone here to help if you take a picture of the plant actually growing and post that in addition to one of the leaves.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This PREEN website is good for some local weeds. I looked through tge Texs weeds, but don’t quite see what you have pictured.

You can start with first pix...and scroll through. Several pix of each weed are provided.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Agreed. When I’m not familiar with a geographic location in North America I often start by looking up ”common graden or lawn weeds” using the geographical area. You usually end up with a good starting list from a lawn maintenance company. In this case it was a Preen list!

You can also try just “common native plants” in the area and start looking at the images section in Google.

ilikemytortoise

San Antonio, TX
Thanks, guy but I just found out that it does have flowers and they might be poisonous, that are all clumped up in a ball of white little flowers. So is it actually poisonous or no? Again thanks for all of y'alls help :)

Tortstrip

Oklahoma
I use the PlantNet app to identify the weeds in my yard and then check the tortoise table database to make sure it’s safe. It’s free and super easy and they have a lot of different pictures at different angles so you can be sure you properly identified it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I can send pictures but not rn it's dark and I don't feel like it lol
Not sure how you are expecting anyone to guess at what it is in that case? We’re not magicians.

If you are suggesting it’s hemlock, which would be a white flowered plant with leaves in that general shape, you can either Google hemlock and pull up the images yourself or post a picture when you feel like it again.

ErinE

California
It looks like it's in the carrot family. There are many highly toxic plants (poison hemlock, giant hogweed) in that family as well as a few edible ones (carrots, fennel, parsley) . I would recommend against feeding it unless you're 100% sure what it is.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Almost looks like Poison Hemlock,
Conium maculatum, the hemlock or poison hemlock, is a highly poisonous biennial herbaceous flowering plant in the carrot family Apiaceae, native to Europe and North Africa