What should I do? (teacher has two tortoises)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
So, my ex-math teacher owns two tortoises. I'm almost certain that she doesn't know what type of tortoises they are, and she keeps them in pairs. She thinks that they are separate species, and they had babies last year. I was hoping that she'd be in the same room as me when presented a huge project about tortoise pyramiding, but she wasn't one of the judges for it, and she wasn't there. I am very concerned about the tortoises and the baby she found. She actually found two babies, but she accidentally squished one, and it died. They are kept in an out door enclosure, and it isn't very humid were I live, and the temperature varies often and gets really cold. I really want to tell her what she's doing wrong, but I feel like it's not really in my place. I am really worried about her tortoises.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Do you know what kind of tortoises they are? Have you ever seen them or their enclosure?
No, I haven't. I'm just going on what she's told me. But, she keeps them outside 24/7, and she let two separate species mate,and one of the babies got squished. She wouldn't tell me by what, but it wasprobably either outside, or inside without a secure enclosure. I think it may have gotten run over.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Until you can see for sure what is going on, mention this forum and that she should join it. Tell her how much information is out on the web that is wrong, but this forum has all the correct updated info.
When/if you see what is going on, then it's your duty to say something. Animal neglect/abuse is not accepted and humans need to step in and speak up for those that can't.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
show interest in tortoise keeping and handling, perhaps she will let you in on caring, you can gently educate her, telling what she is doing wrong will most likely do only the opposite of good, take some pics, let us see:) perhaps things are not as bad as it sounds:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The first thing to do is talk to your ex-teacher and express an interest. Have a conversation. Try to fill in all these gaps in your knowledge about what species we are talking about and what is really going on with the housing situation. Let the teacher know that you've found a source of good tortoise care info and that some of the old info is outdated and wrong. Tell the teacher you'd love to share this info and get his/her opinion on it. Invite them to come here and do some reading or join.

You and the teacher share a common interest. Use that to get a friendly and helpful conversation going. While a teacher may be reluctant to take advice from a student, if you can get them here, the opinions and experience of some of our more senior (senior in tortoise experience, not necessarily age…) members might hold more sway.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
My teacher had an adult iguana named"Pig". He never kept his small terrarium enclosure moist, and had the wrong lights...
My friend and I started taking care of him every school day. Suddenly he seemed almost friendly, now that someone cared!
But our teacher eventually did give my friend the iguana, and he did get much better care from her.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
My teacher had an adult iguana named"Pig". He never kept his small terrarium enclosure moist, and had the wrong lights...
My friend and I started taking care of him every school day. Suddenly he seemed almost friendly, now that someone cared!
But our teacher eventually did give my friend the iguana, and he did get much better care from her.
attaboy:)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I think I know what I'm going to do. Every year there's a huge project that is super important. You can even get recognized by state if you do well enough. Last year I covered tortoise pyramiding and got a really good score, and this year I'm going over bearded dragons and such. I think I'm going to disguise me asking for pictures as my project, and I will probably be able to discuss it with her after that.