what should I get for winter?

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Hello everyone!
So.. im going to start to get ready for winter...
My sulcatas live outside... and temperatures are nice right now...
Daytime temps are around 90 F, and drop to 73 during the night..
I want to get ready before the cold weather arrives...
What kind of heaters should I get?
I was thinking about an underground for the humid cave, and a basking light for daytime...
What kind of heater and brand should I get?

(I have a 1 year old and a hatchling)

Thank you everyone!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can get a oil filled heater from Walmart for 40.00$. Build a wooden box 4x8x2 and install the heater. If you look up enclosures in Toms post he gives a step by step to how to build. Pm Yvonne she can find it for you .

mike taylor said:
You can get a oil filled heater from Walmart for 40.00$. Build a wooden box 4x8x2 and install the heater. If you look up enclosures in Toms post he gives a step by step to how to build. Pm Yvonne she can find it for you .This is what I use .

Attachments

• 1383532941989.jpg
    1383532941989.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1383532954398.jpg
    1383532954398.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1383532976521.jpg
    1383532976521.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 66

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your not leaving the hatchling outside in the cold are you? Btw, how cold, is your cold?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I think your babies may be too young to leave outside when it gets cold. I think their closed chamber in the house should be where they stay for yet a couple more years. Experts will share their thoughts soon. : )

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Thats what Im saying...
Im keeping them inside during the winter...
Thats what I did last year with my first sulcata. I used heat pads and basking bulbs...
The coolest it gets its around 44.6 F.. but that would be for just one or two days during the night.
I just want to make sure what you guys use to see if it would work for me...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
For babies a big fish tank or a wooden box with heat lamps and ches on timers and thermostats . I was thinking you had a big sulcata.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Have you seen the closed chamber threads that Tom has? You want to keep them warm and humid to avoid the lumpy shells. Pyramiding does not happen when they are hydrated. With that method - warm and humid = healthy and happy - you do not want anything less than 80 degrees Fahrenheit (I try to keep mine between 82 and 85 degrees) and the humidity should be at 80% ideally. Barb, wellington above, has the links to those threads under her signature. Take a look. That is the best thing, for your babies, I think. Absolutely! : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, I think/hope that was a spell check. If your tortoises are soft, that's bad. Now, if I read your first post right, you have a hatchling and a yearling. So, they both can be kept the same way inside. A closed chamber would be best for both until they are around 8 inches, or until you want to keep them outside again, which they should still sleep inside in the closed chamber. The best for heating inside is a CHE for night time and day if needed and if you will still be able to get them outside a few days a week for some sunshine, then a regular house light bulb will be fine for day heat and light. Hope that helps:D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Phew! Thank goodness. Scared us. You meant smooth, like a baby's butt smooth! Yay! Like Barb suggested above for warming up. I use a floodlight. I am in Orange County and even in the winter there is usually a few days a week that I can put them out in their protective cover (chicken wire frame) sunshine pen to get the lovely rays of the sun so they can metabolize that calcium. : )

Are you in Sonora? Has your weather in your state been as rainy and stormy as we saw on the news? Those two storms that hit from both coasts a couple of weeks ago were horrible.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
yes! im from Sonora.. :)
I live in Hermosillo city, we only get about 3 or 4 rains in the year...
The storms you heard about are in the south area of the state!
My tortoises love the hot weather down here :) ..

So.. Ive been searching around and I found this heat pad....
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptitherm-habitat-heater.html
or would you all still recommend me to buy a CHE?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I think if you are in Hermosillo you can just do the overhead light for warmth. Your winter will still have warm days for outdoor sunshine and rays for UVB. Yes, a CHE would be good, or, floodlight like I have, for day, and a second lamp with a black light, for night, so they can sleep restfully. I seem to remember reading that warmth is best coming from above. Perhaps others will chime in about this. With a closed chamber you should be able to keep the temperatures up. I have an upside down terra cotta saucer under the basking area and my babies love it, I think because they get toasty from the bottom also with the warmth of the warm saucer under the light. Less electricity that way also.

I remember going to Guaymas years ago, then to your city, then Chihuahua! Fun! : )

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
really??? nice!! Actually... I just came back from San Carlos (Guaymas beach area) I spent the weekend at my beach house... I love it

And about the torts... Then, I will just get two lights... the night heat and ... a basking flood light for the day...
Im also going to get a large plastic tub... fill it with good substrate and make the humid warm hide x)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No way. My family has property in San Carlos also! Small teeny world. : )

If you can get coco coir made from coconut husks, shredded or ground, that works well for humidity. Like.