What size should females be?

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
Just wondering about my females, I have 2 Russians and 2 eastern Hermanns. All have had coitus but never seen any signs of being gravid. They're all over 6 inches (less than 7) and the male Russian is 6 inches and my male Hermann almost 6. Without getting x-rays is there any other way to tell if they are gravid? I've tried sticking my finger in the back leg pit? Feeling for eggs but don't feel anything (not that I truly know what I'm feeling for). I assume I would feel a hard lump. I've provided a nesting box with 50/50 mix like I've read. Put the night light over it on all the time for extra heat and keep it moist for digging. I know that it's also a waiting game but I have had them over three years so I'm assuming they should be getting comfortable in the environment that I have created for them. They do get to spend summer outside, so I guess they might of laid outside without my knowledge but I only have a few spots that they can really dig in. The rest is gravel and hard Ohio clay. If they did lay outside I bet the cold and wet killed the eggs. Or are they still to small to lay eggs? And what size can a marginated become gravid? She's around 7 inches but never have I seen the male mount her. Just wondering because I'd really like to try the next step of hatching an egg. Any feedback would be great.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I do have breeding groups 2 males and 3 females Russian, 1 male and 2 females Hermanns. I believe that my marginated are all to young and small 2.1. With all the literature I've read the the Russian and Hermanns should be the right size. Right?

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I'll getting a soil probe to check soil temps and moisture. I believe the soil temps should be around 86 degrees what should the moisture be? I can make a ball by squeezing it, I don't think it to wet. Just wondering any input would be helpful.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Was watching my Russian female today and she totally mounted my other female and squeaked! Now is that a sign of being gravid? In the three years I've owned her I have never seen that kind of behavior out of her. Have nesting box in their enclosure, but the smaller female has claimed that area as hers and seems to be protective of it. She's only 5 inches could she be gravid too? Then if they do have eggs when should I worry about egg retention? Should I consider that oxytocin if they have eggs? Considering digital x-ray from vet.

My Hermann if definitely walking the walk, constantly pacing and trying to climb out of her enclosure. Find her on her back often.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
IMG_20180223_141256.jpg
My Russian box

IMG_20180223_141358.jpg
The Hermann box
Guess I have a few months, I know there was a lot of action last spring.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
My female Hermann isn't eating like she used to, and she's losing a little weight? Constantly pacing around her pen and I find her on her back at least 3 to 4 times a day. Signs of being gravid?

My big Russian females are mounting everyone else occasionally and squeaking like males do is that dominance or signs of being gravid?