What sort of plants can I grow in the enclosure of a Russain Tortoise?

TayefA08

Location (City and/or State)
UK, Wales,
So I was wondering what sort of plants I can grow in my tortoise enclosure and the specifics of it such as, will it need a different substrate?, will I need to water it often? and if it is safe for my little RT, Rammus.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The best way to grow plants is to grow them in pots and then sink the pot into the substrate. They grow much better that way than if you try to plant directly in the substrate.

Leave the rim of the pot showing above the substrate surface and it will help to stop your plant being stomped on.

Spider plants are good as you can grow a big plant on your windowsill and have an endless supply of baby plants to pot up, grow on and use as replacements in the enclosure :)

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
The best way to grow plants is to grow them in pots and then sink the pot into the substrate. They grow much better that way than if you try to plant directly in the substrate.

Leave the rim of the pot showing above the substrate surface and it will help to stop your plant being stomped on.

Spider plants are good as you can grow a big plant on your windowsill and have an endless supply of baby plants to pot up, grow on and use as replacements in the enclosure :)
Do you mind sending me a link where I can purchase a spider plants and all its requirements please?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you mind sending me a link where I can purchase a spider plants and all its requirements please?
I don't know about where you live, but pretty much every garden centre, DIY shop garden department and supermarket flower section sells them in the UK.

Try B&Q, Homebase, garden centres, Sainsbury's...

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
I don't know about where you live, but pretty much every garden centre, DIY shop garden department and supermarket flower section sells them in the UK.

I also live in the UK South Wales in fact I'll be sure to try just that

kai.oki

Belgium

Is it safe to put in ones straight from the store? Or do you only use the ones you have regrown?

Ernie Johnson

5 Year Member
McKinney, Texas
Given these guys eat almost anything, so the best plants are plastic. I gave up finding ones they wouldn't eat 15 years ago. They don't eat them, last forever, and create plenty of hiding places.