What species are my tortoise ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Cheers Tom

Can I get an all in one uvb/bask flood tube or do they have to be separate ?

In the past I recommended mercury vapor bulbs for this, but those have too many issues now. For one thing they are very expensive and recent monitoring has revealed that they only make UV for about 3 months. They also run hot and this can desiccate the carapace and contribute to more pyramiding.

Best to use a florescent tube for UV and light, and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What % uvb please Tom

Depends on type of bulb and mounting height. The market is pretty flooded with options here now. There is not one set answer anymore.

How high above the tortoise will the bulb be mounted?

Also, where are you? If you live in an area where the tortoise can get some sunshine for most of the year, you don't need indoor UV.

jpratt

Would one of these do for now,it's not flood but surely would be ok in my small viv.
They are uvb and heat ???

jpratt

Jesus Tom
These are showing signs of Pyramiding,will that go once I get it right.
This will all be fixed in next day or two as I said I was not given the best info but feel awful over this

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jesus Tom
These are showing signs of Pyramiding,will that go once I get it right.
This will all be fixed in next day or two as I said I was not given the best info but feel awful over this

There are many variables that contribute to pyramiding. In the right enclosure and conditions, newer growth should come in smoother.

jpratt

That bulb I just showed you is an MVB Tom,the flood tubes here are nearly 3 times the price.
Shall I run the bulb for now and if I am getting ok temps I will rock on with that till I can get the flood ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That bulb I just showed you is an MVB Tom,the flood tubes here are nearly 3 times the price.
Shall I run the bulb for now and if I am getting ok temps I will rock on with that till I can get the flood ??

Yes. My issue with the MVBs is that they run too hot because over here they only come in 100 or 160 watt sizes. That 80 watt one might be just right.

My other issue is that some of them over here stop producing UVB at 3 months, but since I have never tested that type, this might not be an issue at all.

jpratt

Hi Tom
Left the moon lamp off last night as you said and the temp didn't drop below 60,is that ok ?

They did feel a little chilly this morning though when I checked on them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom
Left the moon lamp off last night as you said and the temp didn't drop below 60,is that ok ?

They did feel a little chilly this morning though when I checked on them?

Should be just fine as long as they can warm up each day. For babies, I usually prefer to keep the overnight low between 65 and 70.

jpratt

Ok
Could I time the moon lamp to come on for an hour or so during the night just to warm it up a little until morn when I switch others lamps on?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok
Could I time the moon lamp to come on for an hour or so during the night just to warm it up a little until morn when I switch others lamps on?

A CHE set on a thermostat would be much more effective and still maintain your night time darkness.

Are you one of those people that like their house to feel like an Arctic winter inside??? BLEH!!! I hate it when my house drops below 70! :)

jpratt

LoL

Tom when work is good I don't mind blasting the heating but it's really slow at the minute and with Xmas creeping up I'm watching the pennies. Remember mate im a beginner what is a CHE set?
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LoL

Tom when work is good I don't mind blasting the heating but it's really slow at the minute and with Xmas creeping up I'm watching the pennies. Remember mate im a beginner what is a CHE set?
Thanks

CHE = ceramic heating element. There are several brand names. Here is one:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/exo-terra-heat-wave-lamp-heat-emitter/
They emit all heat and no light, but they conveniently screw into a regular dome type light fixture.

Here are a couple of thermostats that are cheap and work well. I use and like both:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/MTPRTC The thermostat allows you to set a temp and it will turn the heating element(s) on if the temp drops below your set point, and then turn the heating element off when the temperature reaches the set point. For a russian tortoise baby, I would set it around 68-70 at night. This will keep your temperature where you want it, but not waste a lot of electricity. As your tortoise gets older and bigger, I would gradually let the night temp drop down in to the 60-65 range. If you don't want to hibernate your tortoise, I generally don't go below 60 for a night temp.