What species are my tortoise ?

jpratt

Cheers Joesmum

Guys Check them pics please,I have divided it for now as I seen more signs of bullying.
This is the best I can do for now till so re home one of them.
The lights are in the middle so it's shining in to both sides.
The little seems better already he has come right out of his shell ha ha:)
If there is a problem with this temp fix please let me know.
Thanks for all your help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I see the curly shaped compact fluorescent bulb. If you notice either baby keeping his eyes closed that bubl is probably the culprit. Also, you're measuring the temperature way up high. Your thermometer should be down at tortoise level.

jpratt

Cheers Yvonne
It is supposed to be uvb but i now understand they are no good,can I do without it for a day or two till I get a proper uvb. ??
I will adjust height if thermometer also.

Thanks

jpratt

And yes I have noticed them squinting,I was sold all this by a pet shop!

Will there sight be damaged ?

jpratt

Just moved therm down to tort height and the little one was right over to investigate,nothing wrong with his eyesight.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Possibly, it has been known.
You need to use a strip UVB light or an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) in my opinion.
Coiled or compact bulbs may cause eye problems and may not produce enough UVB in the right range.

jpratt

IMG_6882.PNG Cheers
I have got me eye on the Arcadia 24w 12% uvb flood but they are £60, which I just haven't got right now.
Going to get the above for now it's uvb,uva & heat together.
Any other ideas very welcome

jpratt

Tom
Is that moon lamp too bright to keep on through the night,I know you said they want complete dark,but I will sleep easier knowing they are warm ?? IMG_6895.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They will be fine without the coil bulb. They can go several weeks with no UV and it won't hurt a thing. The Arcadia bulb should have you covered for UV all by itself anyway.

Those colored bulbs are not my favorite, but it will work temporarily for you. They are not harmful other than potentially messing with their sleep cycles.

jpratt

Hi Tom

Sorry to bother you again.

You mentioned earlier about having 4 x different temps (warm,cool,basking,overnight low). That cant be achieved in a small viv can it ? especially while I have got them split up. I am not having any luck re homing one of them, if I'm honest I am a little attached to them now and am worried i could put one of them in worse hands than mine.

Is it 100% that one will be bullied,I know I have said I have seen signs of it but maybe I am wrong.They do sleep together and we have seen them eating together,the littlen has rough skin on his hind legs and so i thought he had been getting bitten,but I think he has dry skin due to me not having correct substrate and other stuff,also not bathing them as much as I am now. I have seen pics on line of other people with baby Russians in pairs,or have I not.

You also mentioned that babies will be better in a viv, would it not be ok for me to knock a decent sized table together that thet can have plenty of room in and I can then hopefully achieve the 4 different temps.
feeling really sorry for them at the min living in such a small space.

Again,thanks for all your help and advice I am trying my best and a bit stressed with it all.:mad::(

Trinh

I'm not Tom, but no species of tortoises should be housed in pairs, but especially not some of the more aggressive species such as the Testudo horsfieldii. The best thing to do if you can't rehome one tortoise would be to either A) use separate enclosures or B) add another tortoise (which requires a quarantine period anyway, therefore pushing you back to option A; this also opens you up to other predicaments). It can be frustrating and disappointing for new tortoise owners, but pairs simply don't work.

Please give this a read:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is it 100% that one will be bullied,I know I have said I have seen signs of it but maybe I am wrong.They do sleep together and we have seen them eating together
Bullying is not always physical fighting. It often starts with jostling for position. They're not cuddling up together. They're trying to sleep in the same spot. They're not eating together, one will be trying to make sure it gets the pick of the food.

If you have more than one tortoise, there will always be a dominant one. One that decides it has the right to the best basking spot, the best sleeping space, first pick of the food. The subordinate tortoises give in quietly, are constantly moved on, don't eat enough and fail to thrive ... or they resist and a fight starts.

If you have a group of 3 or more in a very large enclosure there is an opportunity to escape attention and for the subordinates to get on with life without taking all the punishment.

With a pair, especially in an indoor enclosure, there is no getting out of the way. There is only one subordinate to target and the outcome is never good.

I have seen pics on line of other people with baby Russians in pairs,or have I not.
Seeing things and reading things online doesn't make them right. You have to learn to be critical about what you see and pick your trusted sources carefully. On here you have tortoise keepers with decades of experience sharing what they've learned the hard way. People who are prepared to say when they don't know something too and call in those that do.

You also mentioned that babies will be better in a viv, would it not be ok for me to knock a decent sized table together that thet can have plenty of room in and I can then hopefully achieve the 4 different temps.
feeling really sorry for them at the min living in such a small space.
They need separate, proper sized, accommodation. They need the correct humidity which requires the enclosures to be covered. You are correct that temperature variation is easier in a table, but babies do just fine in a viv as they need to be kept a little warmer anyway.

@Tom will be around later in the day, I'm sure. :)

Again,thanks for all your help and advice I am trying my best and a bit stressed with it all.:mad::(
We know you're trying and it is hard work getting things right. Don't lose heart, it will be worth it in the end.

jpratt

Thanks for the replies guys,I have had a bit of luck with the re homing so getting somewhere now.
Can any one recommend a decent thermometer/hygrometer that I can get in the U.K. single unit or one that does the two together ??

Kind regards
John

jpratt

Hi
I know yous all must be bored of me by now,but can someone help me with one last bit of info.
Someone has recommended the Arcadia uvb flood (attached) and I am wondering does a small viv need to be flooded. Would this be too much for the torts eyes.

Is it better to direct the UVA/UVB in to one spot so it can just absorb as and when.
What % UVA do I need and what % UVB do I need.
What out of the following three pics is best for me please. The Arcadia mvb and the Reptisun are UVA/UVB in one but are they the correct percentages. ??

IMG_6919.PNGIMG_6920.PNGIMG_6921.PNG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for the replies guys,I have had a bit of luck with the re homing so getting somewhere now.
Can any one recommend a decent thermometer/hygrometer that I can get in the U.K. single unit or one that does the two together ??

Kind regards
John

Keep them separate. Those that come together don't do a good job

I have this thermometer - a temperature gun type is best for spot measurements
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Benetech-N...id=1480851379&sr=8-5&keywords=temperature+gun

Have a look on Amazon for a digital probe hygrometer for the humidity. You'll have to read reviews. My Greek, currently hibernating, lives outdoors 24/7 so I don't have one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi
I know yous all must be bored of me by now,but can someone help me with one last bit of info.
Someone has recommended the Arcadia uvb flood (attached) and I am wondering does a small viv need to be flooded. Would this be too much for the torts eyes.

Is it better to direct the UVA/UVB in to one spot so it can just absorb as and when.
What % UVA do I need and what % UVB do I need.
What out of the following three pics is best for me please. The Arcadia mvb and the Reptisun are UVA/UVB in one but are they the correct percentages. ??

View attachment 193730View attachment 193731View attachment 193732
I haven't come across the Arcadia flood before, but I have my doubts it will provide the concentrated 35C basking spot and temperature differential you need

The Reptisun in the middle is a compact CFL type UVB that hurts tortoise eyes. Don't buy it.

The Mercury Vapor Bulb on the right is what I'd recommend.

Be aware that the UVB output drops right off after around 6 months - long before the bulb blows. You will need to replace the bulb every 6-9 months.