What species is my tortoise?

Wendy Webb

Thank you. I appreciate the beauty of this turtle. I wish it wasn't scared when I come near. It pulls its head, arms and legs into its shell. I have sat there watching it for hours, trying to get it comfortable with me. Honestly I'm nervous of it. I'm pretty sure it could bite. I've seen it move quite quickly. In thankful for all that my family is learning about this. We want the best for the turtle in the end. Of course we would enclose the pool area to keep it safe from our dogs. We also have wild possums, rats, raccoons, coyotes. We have made safe enclosures for our chickens. We also have a safe 24' x 6' x 6' cat run. We have horses too. Do you think turtles are OK with living alone? Or would they prefer the company of other turtles? It's impressive how old your turtle is. I'd love to see a photo.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Turtles are just fine by themselves in captivity. In an enclosed space there can be territorial disputes because the turtles can't get away from each other.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
He'll enjoy being the King of the castle, I'm sure of it! Very few reptiles do well in groups and even fewer do well in pairs. You're doing alright by him. :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Aquatic turtles do prefer to bask in groups. It actually provides security for them as they bask preferably touching or on top of each other. A group of five turtles effectively become a five headed animal on watch for trouble. The first one to spot trouble sends them all dropping into the water to safety. I find they normally do better in groups if they have the room. You will most always see them together in the wild if they have a choice.

He will do fine though by himself in a small area like that but would be ok with others Don't get a female unless you're ready to deal with egg laying. Red ear males do grab onto the back of the neck of the female as part of courting behavior. They hang on tight and can make pretty good scars on the females. In captivity they sometimes will do this to other turtles even other species and as a result I do not personally keep red ear males in my pond. So an old guy like this is probably best by himself unless you are interested in breeding. That way a simple basking area is all he needs without having to worry about a land area a nesting female would need

Red ears will bite when held out of the water - although not real seriously - it can draw blood. Picking up a larger turtle can be tricky especially if they are struggling and not frightened by you and withdrawing in the shell. Holding one by the sides will often get you scratched by the hind leg nails as he tries to get free. I usually grab from behind holding by one hand between the hind legs. Some will tame down and seem to enjoy being held and their shell scratched while others don't ever really like it. Keep in mind They are most nervous with something hovering over them. So being closer to his level will help. For example - in the wild if a turtle sees you even 100 yards away they will immediately dive into the water to hide. But if you get into the water, you can swim up to them within just a few yards before they become alarmed.

Have fun with your guy! He will learn to eat from your hand quickly if offered tears like shrimp or pieces of chicken. I'm sure you will enjoy him for a years if you choose to keep him

Wendy Webb

Great info. I definitely do not want to breed them. I will not be purchasing another. I was leaning towards giving him to someone else who had some if that's what he needed.

I have been picking him up on the sides. I am SO careful not to drop him. He pulls in and doesn't scratch me. Sometimes he pulls in fast and it startles me and I scream. Sorry I am just getting used to this. I have never owned anything like this. It's funny that I know so little about them because I have a bachelor's degree in Animal Science.