What species is this baby?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
An open pot, with its wide mouth, does not a humid hide make. (Sometimes I have fun,with phraseology...) I like to use upside down black dish washing tubs. They only cost about $1.82. I cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise.

Your fixtures are both ceramic and good to go. Bakelite is that dark plastic type. They just don't hold up to being on all day every day.

Your are supposed to hang the fixtures with some light chain attached to the fixture itself. I've never done it that way. I've always just hung them by the cord from rubber coated coffee cup holder hooks. An electrician will tell you that's a no no, but its worked for me.

impdragon

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, Tom! I'm about to run into town, so I'll look for one of those tubs for the hide. I also have to go get some screws so I can tie the fixture cords to something. I'll post photos later today so you all can see the updates.

In general, the baby is very active. I've soaked him already today but I haven't noticed him eat yet - I assume this is normal since he's not used to his surroundings yet?

impdragon

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
The lights are now hanging straight down from above instead of being clamped. Also, had to move some things around when I put in the humid hide - it's an oven-safe Tupperware-type container; I would've preferred something deeper but it was the only thing I could find that would fit this enclosure. There's also some Sphagnum moss under it.

I originally had the hide flush with the wall, but the baby insisted on walking back there. :p

I bought some "mixed cat greens" seeds to sprout, hoping this will be a nice addition to his diet.

In general, he's very active but I still haven't seen him eat. I assume for now that's okay.

Uploading on mobile, so I have to do it seperately. Image #2.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
For my guy, I use a Gladware container for his hide. I cut a hole in the side so he can get in with the bottom of the hole about a half inch or so above the bottom of the container, filled it with some coir and sphagnum moss and soaked it, and I buried to the surface of the doorway. That way I can remove the lid and check on him or remove him when I want or need to. He loves it.

impdragon

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
JHoward said:
For my guy, I use a Gladware container for his hide. I cut a hole in the side so he can get in with the bottom of the hole about a half inch or so above the bottom of the container, filled it with some coir and sphagnum moss and soaked it, and I buried to the surface of the doorway. That way I can remove the lid and check on him or remove him when I want or need to. He loves it.

I forgot I could do that - I'll see how mine works and switch if I have to.