What species of turtle do i have?

TravisB

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
My brother found turtle eggs on his jobs construction site. He brought them home since they already excavated their home. The owner of the property said he used to breed box turtles, but we want to make sure so we can take care of them properly. Any additional information would be great. Like how we can get them to eat. IMG_20180810_155316.jpg IMG_20180810_154819.jpg IMG_20180810_154806.jpg IMG_20180810_154806.jpg IMG_20180810_154736.jpgIMG_20180810_154729.jpg IMG_20180810_154734.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like baby eastern box turtles. They dry out inside very easily, so must be kept in a moist, humid environment

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Indiana is home to both ornate box turtles and eastern box turtles. You have eastern box turtle babies, and some nice ones. They look like they will grow to become some colorful adults. Good luck with them.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
I would offer them small worms. Babies seem instinctively triggered to eat them. Good luck with them. Awsome that you were able to give them a chance at life.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
There are few things more adorable than a baby box turtle... and from the pictures, yours look feisty! That's a good thing. :)

When my box turtle was very little, I had pretty good luck getting her to eat the Tetra ReptoMin Juvenile Turtle Formula. It softens quickly in water, so it's easy for babies to eat. It gets mushy, but it still holds together well in water, so it makes a good target in their soaking water.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I had mixed luck trying to get my box turtle to eat red wigglers, up until she was about six months old or so. Unless it is a very small earthworm, it may need to be torn into smaller pieces (maybe an inch or so). If the earthworm is big enough to put up a fight and smack the hatchling in the face, the turtle may decide it isn't worth the effort.

Also, red wigglers seem to be more palatable to the turtles if you put them into a different container than the one they came in, from the pet supply store or bait shop, and take the opportunity to gut load the earthworms with leftover greens and nutritious compost type foods. It may also help to rinse the earthworms off using a fine mesh strainer before you feed them to the turtles. My boxie prefers to eat her wrigglies in water.