What species should I get? CA

loveaemily

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,
I've decided that I would like to get a tortoise. I've had bearded dragons for many years and while they are wonderful I want an animal that has a longer life. Beardies have gotten to crazy with the weak genes and ADV issues. I'm having a hard time deciding what species I should get. I've read a ton of care sheets but I'd like to ask you guy since you've had experience and know how to keep them. I really like the red foots but I'm not sure I'm in the best place to keep them. Otherwise I love them!

I live in southern CA, Los Angeles County. I'm closer to the coast near Long Beach. I have a 3 ft X 5 ft insulated wooden tank to keep a young one in and then I would like to move my tortoise outside when they are old enough. I will get a well started one if I can. My dads pretty handy and can build a good shade and hide box, he built the big tank I have.

I do NOT want a sulcata. They are too big and destructive for my yard. I won't be getting my new friend till next summer if I'm able to finish my senior year at home since it's only internships. Otherwise I will wait until I graduate.

- Thank you for reading!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very forum welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I cannot give you advise: am no tort expert. I'll ask the experts to help here.

@Yvonne G @Tom

Your help would be appreciated, here. Thank you both.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Any species would do fine in Long Beach area outside March - October
You can put a sprinkler dedicated to the outside enclosure, set it on every couple hours .

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
The Russian Tortoise is a great, hardy tortoise for beginners. Very tolerant to colder and hotter temps. They are personable and fun. They also stay on the smaller size. I recommend checking them out [emoji16]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In most of SoCal, it is too dry for a RF, but where you are with milder temps and that be beachy humidity, I bet one would do fine as long as you didn't let it get too cold in winter.

Alternatively, hermanni, most greeks or marginata would also do great with your weather.

loveaemily

5 Year Member
Southern California
In most of SoCal, it is too dry for a RF, but where you are with milder temps and that be beachy humidity, I bet one would do fine as long as you didn't let it get too cold in winter.

Alternatively, hermanni, most greeks or marginata would also do great with your weather.

If I get a RF I would defiantly run some kind of sprinklers or mister to help keep the humidity up. I also really like the greek tortoise I haven't read anything that says they hibernate is that correct? I personally feel like hibernation daunting since I've never had an animal that does that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I get a RF I would defiantly run some kind of sprinklers or mister to help keep the humidity up. I also really like the greek tortoise I haven't read anything that says they hibernate is that correct? I personally feel like hibernation daunting since I've never had an animal that does that.
Some "greek" subspecies hibernate and some don't. You don't have to hibernate any tortoise. You can if you want to with some types, but it is not "required" for any type.