What Squirrels Do

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 4 concrete planters outside the back door that I don't keep plants in except weeds. Now one has a Pecan tree and another has a Walnut tree growing in them. The squirrels plant nuts every year but this is the first time in these pots. The pecan Picture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpgThe walnut Picture 005.jpgPicture 007.jpgI broke the walnut but the tree shouldl be finePicture 008.jpgThey plant so many each year I usually pull them up or cut them with the lawnmower.but these two I will pot later. The squirrels were building a nest yesterday in the old maple tree getting ready for their second litter and they dropped a bunch of the cuttings all over the patio. I threw their cuttings in for Galloper to eat the fresh leaves.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I have 4 concrete planters outside the back door that I don't keep plants in except weeds. Now one has a Pecan tree and another has a Walnut tree growing in them. The squirrels plant nuts every year but this is the first time in these pots. The pecan View attachment 328850View attachment 328851The walnut View attachment 328852View attachment 328853I broke the walnut but the tree shouldl be fineView attachment 328854They plant so many each year I usually pull them up or cut them with the lawnmower.but these two I will pot later. The squirrels were building a nest yesterday in the old maple tree getting ready for their second litter and they dropped a bunch of the cuttings all over the patio. I threw their cuttings in for Galloper to eat the fresh leaves.
I'm laughing because you seem to be on the "smart-end" of squirrels being squirrels...they throw out stuff that becomes trees & food for a tort. I've had the fortune of feeding squirrels who never attacked my house, roof, attic, an animal I loved or all the horrid things they do. I get why this might upset everyone on the forum. I was just lucky to have spiffy squirrels in Colorado & one time at Lake Powell.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have 4 concrete planters outside the back door that I don't keep plants in except weeds. Now one has a Pecan tree and another has a Walnut tree growing in them. The squirrels plant nuts every year but this is the first time in these pots. The pecan View attachment 328850View attachment 328851The walnut View attachment 328852View attachment 328853I broke the walnut but the tree shouldl be fineView attachment 328854They plant so many each year I usually pull them up or cut them with the lawnmower.but these two I will pot later. The squirrels were building a nest yesterday in the old maple tree getting ready for their second litter and they dropped a bunch of the cuttings all over the patio. I threw their cuttings in for Galloper to eat the fresh leaves.
Their dreys are so beautiful. They are master basket weavers.?