What subspecies is my Greek?

Geli18

Location (City and/or State)
Calgary
Hello all, new here and just wondering what subspecies our Greek tortoise is?

Attachments

• 4516E9EB-C41D-4D65-B67E-798DB234384F.jpeg
    4516E9EB-C41D-4D65-B67E-798DB234384F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • E972D274-E920-451C-B862-C917EBA69AD0.jpeg
    E972D274-E920-451C-B862-C917EBA69AD0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
My guess would be T. g. ibera. Can you contact the breeder at all and get that info, or possibly pictures of the parents?

How many claws are on each front foot?

It looks quite try in the enclosure and your tortoise is showing signs of pyramiding. I would increase the humidity to 70%.

Geli18

Calgary
My guess would be T. g. ibera. Can you contact the breeder at all and get that info, or possibly pictures of the parents?

How many claws are on each front foot?

It looks quite try in the enclosure and your tortoise is showing signs of pyramiding. I would increase the humidity to 70%.
Sorry it’s taken some time to reply, we got Tink from a pet store and they didn’t have much info other than that he was a Greek.

He has 4 claws on each foot.

Ive made sure to get that humidity level up, the pic was a bit old, the soil isn’t normally that dry but have done some additional research and see that it should be higher.

Thank you

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
@HermanniChris is this an ibera? Also, can you comment on the number of front claws for ibera Greeks? Some photos I see show Ibera with five claws, while others show four. Thanks

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Sorry it’s taken some time to reply, we got Tink from a pet store and they didn’t have much info other than that he was a Greek.

He has 4 claws on each foot.

Ive made sure to get that humidity level up, the pic was a bit old, the soil isn’t normally that dry but have done some additional research and see that it should be higher.

Thank you

Looks like you've got a marginated rather than greek tortoise. You can check the plastron (bottom of shell) for six triangular patches. Greeks have a somewhat random blotchy pattern. I had not considered marginated; my mind was in the Greeks. Marginated are actually found in Greece, whereas "Greek tortoises" are largely not, if it makes you feel any better. They are still a cool tortoise and very hardy, and will do well in Calgary.