What substrate for baby russian?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Can I use common sand for substrate? Or old alfalfa leaves for my Russian baby tortoise?
No. With sand you run the risk of impaction. They traipse through the food with sand on their feet, getting it all over the food, then they eat it. It gobs up inside the stomach and blocks all the exits from the stomach to the intestines. You want to use something you can moisten.

Raqib Farid

Karachi Pakistan
No. With sand you run the risk of impaction. They traipse through the food with sand on their feet, getting it all over the food, then they eat it. It gobs up inside the stomach and blocks all the exits from the stomach to the intestines. You want to use something you can moisten.
Then what should I do?
What about alfalfa old leaves?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Can you buy organic top soil anywhere? Orchid bark/fir bark, cypress mulch, peat moss, and coconut coir are all good options. Is there any way you can order these online?

Raqib Farid

Karachi Pakistan
Can you buy organic top soil anywhere? Orchid bark/fir bark, cypress mulch, peat moss, and coconut coir are all good options. Is there any way you can order these online?
No nothing available here for tortoise

Clay, topsoil (Dirt), alfalfa leaves are all i can get.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The topsoil might work, as long as it’s organic, but if it’s from your yard, be sure that it is not chemicals treated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have garden stores there? If anyone there grows orchids, then you should be able to find orchid bark. And at home improvement stores or garden stores you should be able to find pebble bark.

Raqib Farid

Karachi Pakistan
Do you have garden stores there? If anyone there grows orchids, then you should be able to find orchid bark. And at home improvement stores or garden stores you should be able to find pebble bark.
We don't have stores here, they are called nursery, and all they provide are soil, fertilizer, sand and plants.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I use coco coir myself, it's great.
I understand where you're coming from with the not being able to get any tortoise products, no herp vets, difficulty of finding suitable food in the summer etc.
Don't be afraid to ask or PM me if you have any queries, i've probably been through the same myself.

Raqib Farid

Karachi Pakistan
I use coco coir myself, it's great.
I understand where you're coming from with the not being able to get any tortoise products, no herp vets, difficulty of finding suitable food in the summer etc.
Don't be afraid to ask or PM me if you have any queries, i've probably been through the same myself.
Thanks alot.
Here only coco peat is available so I ordered it. I hope it will work..