What temp is too cold??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Hopefully this is a simple Q. What temperature is too cold to have my sully outside? I thought I've read no cooler than 70. Right now most days in northern Virginia are in the mid 70's to low 80's. I let Franklin outside to get some natural sunlight and UVB as possible and to get in some serious grazing. But today it's 66. I'm out with him right now; he's on a hill in the direct sunlight. Should he be ok?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, 66 is fine, especially if the sun is out and it is not raining....actually, 60 with the sun shining is great as well....now 60 with heavy cloud cover or 60 with rain and wind is not so great....

Remember that if the sun is shining the tort will heat up above that temp simply by the sun beating down on the tort....:D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
You didn't say how big he is. Adults can tolerate much lower temps then babies. I usually let my adults stay outside until the night temps drop into the 50's. Daytime temps of 60's and higher are fine with sunlight. As Ascott said - warm and dry is good, cool and wet is bad.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Thanks ascott, I figured he'd be ok. He's 3lbs 6oz and 8" has an plastron that's 8" in length. I always make sure the sun is shining if it's that cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.