what temps are too hot for Redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Lately it seems like a heat wave has struck north Cali, 104-108F, with that raising my enclosure for my redfoots inside to 95-97 on hot basking end and 84-87 on cool side....she her enclosure safe and also is the outside sun safe

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
It is hard to give hard and fast temps- things like air flow and humidity, live plants, ground temps, etc. all affect the actual temps at any one location.

Watch the tortoises for signs of heat stress- drooling or mouth discharges, panting, wet eyes, dry flaky skin, lethargy, not eating, limp limbs. If seen, cool the tortoise immediately in cool to lukewarm water for no more than about 20 minutes and treat for shock (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/basic-nursing-care)

If you start to think that things are hot, try to set up a mister, or build a cooler shelter (like a brush pile with lots of green leaves and mossy or spongy materials- or even some living sod, etc.- to help hold some moisture, then wet it down periodically.) Or bring them indoors if you have better control inside.

HOWEVER- wild tortoises can usually manage hot temps when they are given the tools to do so- shade, good hides, mud, clean water, etc.

haidao88

5 Year Member
Very well put thanks for all the info

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.