What terrarium to buy for my 3 year old sulcata tortoise

Harish

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hello everyone, I need some help with my tortoises terrarium. I feel my 3 year old tortoise(Lucky) has out grown his terrarium, and I don't know what size to get him for his new one. I also want it to be quite affordable. He also almost does not fit his log and I I can't find a bigger log/shade and where to buy one would be nice and with it also I would like it to be budget.

Thanks everyone,
From Harish and his tortoise Lucky.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you say "terrarium" I picture a glass enclosure. There's no such thing as an "affordable" glass enclosure of the size that would fit a three year old sulcata. In my mind's eye a three year old sulcata is a little bigger than a grapefruit. A sulcata that size would need something about 4' x 8'. I'm thinking your best bet is to build something rather than buy something.

CharSparda

Mexico City
Hello! You should try building something with some wood that's big enough (2x1 meters, idk what's the size in feet).

If that's too difficult for now, what I bought is a portable baby bath tub that is 1.8mts x 1.2 mts and my boy is living pretty fine there.

1641327577390.png

You're gonna have to figure out how to make a roof for it in order to include the UVB / heat lamps, that's the main issue with these tubs

Good luck

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Your tortoise will get big and will need space to roam and be a tortoise. Basically the bigger the better and ensure correct heat. Light and diet.

Harish

NJ
When you say "terrarium" I picture a glass enclosure. There's no such thing as an "affordable" glass enclosure of the size that would fit a three year old sulcata. In my mind's eye a three year old sulcata is a little bigger than a grapefruit. A sulcata that size would need something about 4' x 8'. I'm thinking your best bet is to build something rather than buy something.
In that case forget making affordable, what size tank and where to get it. Also what about the shade?

Harish

NJ
Hello! You should try building something with some wood that's big enough (2x1 meters, idk what's the size in feet).

If that's too difficult for now, what I bought is a portable baby bath tub that is 1.8mts x 1.2 mts and my boy is living pretty fine there.

View attachment 338562

You're gonna have to figure out how to make a roof for it in order to include the UVB / heat lamps, that's the main issue with these tubs

Good luck
Would it not melt?

Harish

NJ
Unless you put 10 heat bulbs and rise the temp up to 150 degrees, no. Your tortoise would most likely die before the Tub melts lol
?Good joke and thanks I'll probably do that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone, I need some help with my tortoises terrarium. I feel my 3 year old tortoise(Lucky) has out grown his terrarium, and I don't know what size to get him for his new one. I also want it to be quite affordable. He also almost does not fit his log and I I can't find a bigger log/shade and where to buy one would be nice and with it also I would like it to be budget.

Thanks everyone,
From Harish and his tortoise Lucky.
What size is your tortoise? They grow at very different rates and for a variety of reasons, so the age doesn't tell us anything. My sulcatas are usually around 30 pounds by three years, and much too large for any indoor enclosure. Even a whole room is too small for them at that size.

TaylorTortoise

Abington

View attachment 338562

Good luck
Also humidity for the roof correct?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post some pics of your tort to give an idea of his size so that you can get the right advice about the minimum size of the enclosure you need?