What To Do About Pics Of Inappropriate Tortoise Practices?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
@AnimalLady

The thread is at least a year old. I actually remember this from when I first joined the forum. If I ever come across it again, I'll send it to anyone privately.

Was that the guy whose username was the same as his business? And I think his actual business was building enclosures/habitats. I sort of remember him, but can't find him.

Prairie Mom

Was that the guy whose username was the same as his business? And I think his actual business was building enclosures/habitats. I sort of remember him, but can't find him.
I'm sorry. I don't remember. I actually did a few searches too. Maybe I shouldn't have even brought it up. I'll learn from this one...Sorry folks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm sorry. I don't remember. I actually did a few searches too. Maybe I shouldn't have even brought it up. I'll learn from this one...Sorry folks!
Don't be sorry. Maybe if we can find it, @jaizei is really good at finding stuff, we could all have a look that may have missed it, I don't remember it and who knows, might learn that the OP still lurks on the forum.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
(Yvonne, Steve, & Mike please excuse the reply, I only quote you to give reference to my post)
(Also, Tom, you and I spoke about this subject recently. I'm really impressed with the way you've handled this thread)
---------------
I'm catching up on this interesting discussion. I'm just throwing out my opinion in regards to moderating posts, because it differs from a few of you and I want all opinions to be represented. I feel there are good points on both sides. -However-, I am one, that has come to appreciate moderator intervention, and there have been times that I wish it happened a bit more often. I appreciated the caution for posters to reign it in, because a trend that I am seeing throughout the forum is that people obviously know that they can be kicked off for "being blatantly rude and/or insulting," and rather than speaking more respectfully, they are sadly working on ways to just lay out insults in a slightly more indirect way.

I'm also not a fan of the abbreviated swearing. It's pointless. I still READ the swearing in my head. In fact, I think the little stars etc draw more attention to the swear word and this is supposed a Family Friendly site. I, personally, am more inclined to wear pie on my face rather than a halo on my head, but come on!...we have some young members that poke around this site. I also regularly have my own children (who are becoming excellent readers!) constantly looking over my shoulders as I read threads because they want to see the cute tortoise pictures in all of your avatars.

I know censorship is a tricky discussion and that is basically what we are talking about here, no one wants to feel they are on the receiving end of that nasty word, but I personally look to our moderators to set the tone on this forum.
I'm not a mod . If that is what you are implying ?? Ha-ha I'm far from a roll model . Tom can get a little spicy with his wording but can you blame him ? I back him like a brother would . Hell I've even made a Tom thread . ha-ha I read Tom's post with a little sarcastic smile it helps it really does . ha-ha Like I said keep it up Tom .Even if you end up only saving one that's one more future adlut Tortoise to save a population .

Prairie Mom

I'm not a mod . If that is what you are implying ?? Ha-ha I'm far from a roll model . Tom can get a little spicy with his wording but can you blame him ? I back him like a brother would . Hell I've even made a Tom thread . ha-ha I read Tom's post with a little sarcastic smile it helps it really does . ha-ha Like I said keep it up Tom .Even if you end up only saving one that's one more future adlut Tortoise to save a population .
Hi Mike, It took me a second to figure out what in the world you were talking about:D... I'M SO SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION...I was referring to "AlaskaMike." I clearly should have used his entire user name! If you'll look back at my post that confused you, I was quoting Yvonne G, Steve W, and AlaskaMike. I made the quick thoughtless assumption that his post quoted at the top of my thread would be enough. I left the little note to Yvonne G, Steve W, and Alaskamike kind of letting them know that I wasn't responding to their exact words, but their posts just provided me a reference point to the new random discussion about moderation on the forum. Please excuse any mix up here.

I also wasn't criticizing Tom in my post either, I hoped I was doing the opposite, and thought that I was letting him know that in my silly parentheses at the top. He and I had discussed this subject recently and he was incredibly kind to me. I think he handled some of the posts in this thread with a patience I WISH I had! I'm still glad you posted Mike TAYLOR:D You said some nice things:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's interesting to note that the OP of Neal's linked thread never commented. I closed the thread so no more comments could be made on it without the OP there anymore.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were, I don't think it should be posted outside of Pms.
It's fine to be posted in the open its closed anyway and anyone could find it if they wanted to search hard enough. It actually should be in your post history and anyone else's that posted on it.
Btw, it's pretty cool. I did send the OP a pm and hopefully they will respond.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like I closed the wrong thread. But I've now re-opened THIS one and closed the one in Neal's link. I hope.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's fine to be posted in the open its closed anyway and anyone could find it if they wanted to search hard enough. It actually should be in your post history and anyone else's that posted on it.
Btw, it's pretty cool. I did send the OP a pm and hopefully they will respond.

They haven't visited the Forum since February.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi Mike, It took me a second to figure out what in the world you were talking about:D... I'M SO SORRY ABOUT THE CONFUSION...I was referring to "AlaskaMike." I clearly should have used his entire user name! If you'll look back at my post that confused you, I was quoting Yvonne G, Steve W, and AlaskaMike. I made the quick thoughtless assumption that his post quoted at the top of my thread would be enough. I left the little note to Yvonne G, Steve W, and Alaskamike kind of letting them know that I wasn't responding to their exact words, but their posts just provided me a reference point to the new random discussion about moderation on the forum. Please excuse any mix up here.

I also wasn't criticizing Tom in my post either, I hoped I was doing the opposite, and thought that I was letting him know that in my silly parentheses at the top. He and I had discussed this subject recently and he was incredibly kind to me. I think he handled some of the posts in this thread with a patience I WISH I had! I'm still glad you posted Mike TAYLOR:D You said some nice things:D
I know that's why I said ( ha ha ) !!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they may put a lot of work into the enclosure but if it's all wrong do you just keep quiet about it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
they may put a lot of work into the enclosure but if it's all wrong do you just keep quiet about it?
I didn't read the post, just looked at the pics:D. But from what I'm reading about it on here, it sounds like the comments weren't that nice, but don't know. My answer though, would be no, you still say something, but nicely. I really didn't see much wrong with the enclosure. The stones weren't small enough to be eaten, the tort probably wouldn't have to be worried about getting shell rot the way the substrate looked, but I also didnt read his thread which I think gave a lot of detail.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I didn't read the post, just looked at the pics:D. But from what I'm reading about it on here, it sounds like the comments weren't that nice, but don't know. My answer though, would be no, you still say something, but nicely. I really didn't see much wrong with the enclosure. The stones weren't small enough to be eaten, the tort probably wouldn't have to be worried about getting shell rot the way the substrate looked, but I also didnt read his thread which I think gave a lot of detail.
not nice? most people nowadays get their feelings hurt way too easily so not nice has different levels of acceptability. take the current generation for example can't take any criticism whatsoever.

aundreagwen

^^^ yes.
So many times I have seen people complain about being bullied when someone voices a different opinion.