What To Do About Pics Of Inappropriate Tortoise Practices?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So some of us (Me) need to be more tactful sometimes, and others need to not be so darn sensitive when people are trying to help them.

Do I have that right?
I think that's it, except to also realize, no matter how nice you might be, some will still not be happy and that's on them, not you (whoever the "you" is at that time)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Oh Stop it. No one is at all upset with you! We are just conversing. You are already part of the group and we like you and you don't need to explain stuff like this.
No kidding here AnimalLady. You are truly part of the "cool kids crowd" and you should know that by now. But, having Tom point this out publicly like he has certainly adds to your credibility.
I'm thrilled how this thread has continued and flourished as if with a life of its own. I'm normally an interactive human in regard to the other carbon based lifeforms. I find the education and exposure of new life to folks to be a rewarding aspect of my life. I've been doing this for 30 odd years when I'd teach third and fourth graders life sciences as a long haired high school student. I remember one concerned parent went to the school principal and voiced concerns. He said I was doing as service to the students and that if the parent was truly concerned they should volunteer as an aid in the class. I was an active member in the Oregon Herpetological Society (president for 4 years). I lived off the outreach available with the shows and presentations we did because of the opportunity to educate people. Me, I like to be liked. I like people and I like people to like me. I'll educate the best I can but if someone starts getting short with me or disagreeable I just move on. The Forum is my only Internet Machine social interaction and I enjoy it quite a lot. The beauty of it is if I read a thread I don't "like" I don't have to get hung up on it.

AnimalLady

No kidding here AnimalLady. You are truly part of the "cool kids crowd" and you should know that by now. But, having Tom point this out publicly like he has certainly adds to your credibility.
I'm thrilled how this thread has continued and flourished as if with a life of its own. I'm normally an interactive human in regard to the other carbon based lifeforms. I find the education and exposure of new life to folks to be a rewarding aspect of my life. I've been doing this for 30 odd years when I'd teach third and fourth graders life sciences as a long haired high school student. I remember one concerned parent went to the school principal and voiced concerns. He said I was doing as service to the students and that if the parent was truly concerned they should volunteer as an aid in the class. I was an active member in the Oregon Herpetological Society (president for 4 years). I lived off the outreach available with the shows and presentations we did because of the opportunity to educate people. Me, I like to be liked. I like people and I like people to like me. I'll educate the best I can but if someone starts getting short with me or disagreeable I just move on. The Forum is my only Internet Machine social interaction and I enjoy it quite a lot. The beauty of it is if I read a thread I don't "like" I don't have to get hung up on it.
I feel special now ::blushes::

I certainly don't like to be hated, and I'm sure everyone likes to be liked to some degree.

From what I recall you don't ever come off sounding negative, so you're good there ;).
And I agree with you, we aren't forced to reply or even read a post!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep ,just like mom always says ( if you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all ) ha-ha

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I saw the subject on pictures of "inappropriate tortoise practices," and I opened it, thinking it was going to be a discussion of taking pictures of tortoises mating or tort genitals. I got to say that I was a little disappointed. :p

Alaskamike

South Florida
Looks like this thread has run its course and answered many questions. Certainly helped me both in the way I comment and reminds me to put qualifiers on photos that might give a new person ideas about dangerous practices.

One thing that would help me , if I get a bit abrasive, or short, would be a PM from any member who notices it. Sometimes I know - and sometimes it is inadvertent or poor wording.

I disagree about censorship at times , and really don't have sensitivities about euphemisms for words like penis or bottoms , but since I'm not a moderator , it " makes no never mind" , not my choice. I'll watch it.

But, If children are old enough to read and understand these posts , a few slang words will not trip them up. Have you ever been on a playground ? They throw around much more offensive language than that.

Good thread. Seems we need this every so often.

Great forum you all have built over the years BTW.

Prairie Mom

Have you ever been on a playground ? They throw around much more offensive language than that.

Of course, you see and hear it all at parks. I only bring it up because the guideline for this specific site is "family friendly" with the intention of being open to "all age groups." If that were not the case, I wouldn't have said a word and can completely understand why many people wouldn't even notice or care. For me, just as we discuss and choose what we feel is age appropriate material for our kids, if the overall tone changed on this specific website, we'd simply avoid using it.

I do totally agree with you about how helpful this thread has been. I think a lot of really going points have been discussed.The biggest thing that I have taken from this thread is to go ahead and speak out more, but I will definitely be practicing "the sandwich approach." I really need the reminder to consider more that there are people behind the screens. My hope is that if they feel welcome and positive about coming here, that they'll stick around and learn to improve their animal care practices even if it takes longer than we would have liked.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I do totally agree with you about how helpful this thread has been. I think a lot of really good points have been discussed.The biggest thing that I have taken from this thread is to go ahead and speak out more, but I will definitely be practicing "the sandwich approach." I really need the reminder to consider more that there are people behind the screens. My hope is that if they feel welcome and positive about coming here, that they'll stick around and learn to improve their animal care practices even if it takes longer than we would have liked.
I find what you say here to be most relevant. I try to close my welcomes with the, "soon you'll be helping others yourself." To ideally encourage more Forum reading and asking.

tartagon

I think the best approach is to point it out but with tact. If the goal is to help them avoid health issues with their pets, a tactful advice is the most appropriate response. Maybe you can let them know it can cause health issues but also compliment that their tortoise is beautiful/adorable?

Kennabear914

Wisconsin
I've posted pics of my Sulcata next to my dog
View attachment 151258
Two different type eating together
View attachment 151259

And my little Redfoot in the human pool
View attachment 151260

And I know somewhere there is a photo of my Sulcata with " strawberry face ".
And pictures of my badly pyramided Redfoot.

It would not bother me if someone pointed out -
Possible cross contamination
Beware of dogs & torts together
Chlorine is bad for torts.
Fruit is bad for Sulcatas
Pyramiding is caused by dehydration
Etc.

Personally , I feel pretty confident in my practices , and am always willing to learn and change my mind.

What always takes me back a bit is when a new person comes here and asks for advice then argues about the advice. That is amazing.

In the short time I've been on TFO , I have seen a softening in the initial way advice is given - and I applaud that.

But I would be unhappy if it was not given. Or bad practices ignored.
If some people get the a_ _ because their enclosures are not praised so be it. Teachable moments are sometimes short and opportunity lost.

Being a " bull dog" when it comes to best care practice is what I love about this forum. ( not that I'm calling you bull dogs Tom & Yvonne .... Will maybe .... ) :)

My sully has been around my cats and dogs as well. What’s the harm if they don’t mind each other?