What to do if a turtle eats the filter sponge?

Sunil

Location (City and/or State)
Bhopal
Yesterday my turtle ate the sponge of the filter installed in the aquarium I am worried what should I do Since yesterday he looks lethargic although he is eating food but little by little.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
That stuff is usually made out of plastic... Depends on how big the turtle is and how much he ate. Like sea turtles eating plastic bags, your turtle could choke on it as well as cause digestion problems. Although it is possible for him to pass it out naturally, I would highly suggest a vet visit if that option is available to you. Make sure to keep the sponge in the filter far away from the turtle in the future.

It would be helpful if you could provide some information of the size of the turtle and how much of the sponge it ate.

Sunil

Bhopal
That stuff is usually made out of plastic... Depends on how big the turtle is and how much he ate. Like sea turtles eating plastic bags, your turtle could choke on it as well as cause digestion problems. Although it is possible for him to pass it out naturally, I would highly suggest a vet visit if that option is available to you. Make sure to keep the sponge in the filter far away from the turtle in the future.

It would be helpful if you could provide some information of the size of the turtle and how much of the sponge it ate.
My turtle is 3 to 4 inches, it has eaten only a small piece of sponge because I just saw it and removed the filter.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems to me that you should first, remove the sponge from where he can reach it.
Put him in warmer water, shallow enough so he can walk around in it and you can see if he poops.
Stop feeding him anything else for a few days.
If he gets worse, try to get him to a reptile vet if that is possible.
Please let us know what happens.

Sunil

Bhopal
My turtle may get sick if not given food. I am planning to feed her in large quantities so that the sponge comes out through the defecation along with her faeces.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My turtle may get sick if not given food. I am planning to feed her in large quantities so that the sponge comes out through the defecation along with her faeces.
I would not do that. If there is a blockage due to the sponge, piling more food into her is no good. I would do the warm soak and no food for a few days. But if you have already decided what you are going to do, then what's the point of advice?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
With all due respect, piling food on top of non-food matter does not help this situation. Moving the piece of sponge out of your turtle can be accomplished by waiting and encouraging defecation. Food does not encourage defecation, but soaking in warm water and vigorous movement does. Your priority is moving the piece of filter. Your turtle will benefit from the passing of the piece of filter more than food at this point.

Sunil

Bhopal
पूरे सम्मान के साथ, गैर-खाद्य पदार्थ के ऊपर भोजन जमा करना इस स्थिति में मदद नहीं करता है। अपने कछुए से स्पंज के टुकड़े को बाहर निकालना प्रतीक्षा और शौच को प्रोत्साहित करके पूरा किया जा सकता है। भोजन शौच को प्रोत्साहित नहीं करता है, लेकिन गर्म पानी में भिगोने और जोरदार आंदोलन करता है। आपकी प्राथमिकता फ़िल्टर के टुकड़े को स्थानांतरित करना है। इस बिंदु पर भोजन से ज्यादा फिल्टर के टुकड़े के गुजरने से आपके कछुए को फायदा होगा।
धन्यवाद मुझे उम्मीद है कि यह सुझाव मेरे लिए मददगार होगा

Sunil

Bhopal
I would not do that. If there is a blockage due to the sponge, piling more food into her is no good. I would do the warm soak and no food for a few days. But if you have already decided what you are going to do, then what's the point of advice?
thanks i hope this suggestion will be helpful for me

Sunil

Bhopal
With all due respect, piling food on top of non-food matter does not help this situation. Moving the piece of sponge out of your turtle can be accomplished by waiting and encouraging defecation. Food does not encourage defecation, but soaking in warm water and vigorous movement does. Your priority is moving the piece of filter. Your turtle will benefit from the passing of the piece of filter more than food

With all due respect, piling food on top of non-food matter does not help this situation. Moving the piece of sponge out of your turtle can be accomplished by waiting and encouraging defecation. Food does not encourage defecation, but soaking in warm water and vigorous movement does. Your priority is moving the piece of filter. Your turtle will benefit from the passing of the piece of filter more than food at this point.
I did not give food to my turtle from last 2 days and kept it in hot water morning and evening, he had defecated only once but from last two days only bubbles i.e. air is coming from the place of defecation. What should I do next?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I did not give food to my turtle from last 2 days and kept it in hot water morning and evening, he had defecated only once but from last two days only bubbles i.e. air is coming from the place of defecation. What should I do next?
Kept it in "hot" water??? What does this mean? Surely you do not have the turtle in HOT water. I think we said WARM water, not hot. What is happening now? If it's still in the water, please take it out if it is still alive, and let us know the situation, with pictures if possible, thanks.

Sunil

Bhopal
Kept it in "hot" water??? What does this mean? Surely you do not have the turtle in HOT water. I think we said WARM water, not hot. What is happening now? If it's still in the water, please take it out if it is still alive, and let us know the situation, with pictures if possible, thanks.
by hot water i mean 32 degree celsius. And my turtle has taken out some sponge pieces too, it's been 4 days do I still have to starve him.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
by hot water i mean 32 degree celsius. And my turtle has taken out some sponge pieces too, it's been 4 days do I still have to starve him.
You are not starving him he is a reptile they can go weeks without eating,the larger the longer they can do without food,crocodiles/alligators which is a reptile can have a large meal and not eat for 6 to 12 months,reptiles are much different don't worry making sure you get all the sponge out is more important than food please keep up the warm soak for 1 or 2 more days 2x a day,we would never give you information to harm your little friend all the best from central Florida

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I wonder if you can post some pictures of your turtle and his setup? What species of turtle is he? Size, age?

Sunil

Bhopal
I wonder if you can post some pictures of your turtle and his setup? What species of turtle is he? Size, age?
Flapshell Turtle size 4 inch and age i dont know.

Attachments

• 16420685188818737085108472628843.jpg
    16420685188818737085108472628843.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 7

Sunil

Bhopal
You are not starving him he is a reptile they can go weeks without eating,the larger the longer they can do without food,crocodiles/alligators which is a reptile can have a large meal and not eat for 6 to 12 months,reptiles are much different don't worry making sure you get all the sponge out is more important than food please keep up the warm soak for 1 or 2 more days 2x a day,we would never give you information to harm your little friend all the best from central Florida

i am trying my best

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
My Turtle Is Showing No Signs Of Sickness It's The Same As It Was Before Eating The Sponge
he looks healthy but you should get some stuff for his aquarium,rocks,plants and things like that so he can feel more comfortable