What to do now that it is winter...

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Now that winder has arrived I no longer can take my leo outside for her sun basking and grazing. What alternatives can I do? She gets her daily soaks and I'll hand feed her n let her walk around on my bed...but I feel like she's bored n wants to explore more! But I don't want her to roam the house, I'm afraid she might eat something or fit somewhere she shouldn't.

Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Roaming the house isn't a good idea. You don't have an indoor enclosure? That's what you need to build, with a UVB light and heat. Get the largest plastic tote box you can find. There are some really big ones for sale now that are usually only available during the Christmas months. I believe they are for holding artificial Xmas trees. Set it up with substrate, my fave is coconut coir, a MVB ( mercury vapor bulb light) and CHE ( ceramic heat emitter, maybe two) water dish food tile a hide and add a few edible plants and let him explore all he wants. Changing it up or adding new things once in a while will help to keep him busy exploring.

Oh, and if he is too big for that, you will have to maybe attach two boxes together, build a spot in the basement or an extra room. I would also think about the next winter when he will be even bigger and consider building a heat shed.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a little late to figure out what to do... start building something inside... they need lights and heat all winter.. no wandering the floor in the house.. its too cold and can get into trouble.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
I may have not stated it properly but I do have a inside enclosure with all the above but when I got home in the evenings I would put ut outside for a little while and she loved it.

Now she just stays in her enclosure, I thought she may get bored not having her outside time.

I do want to add some planets to her enclosure, should I do real or fake?

Her enclosure takes up a whole wall it is a closed chamber, I took two tortoise tables a put them together.

I just worry about boredom and exercise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yep, boredom and pacing and the want and desire to go outside....well, not much you can do about that....will just have to wait it out just like your tort...;)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
heehee... I have found (newbie here) that the baby just goes nuts when I put his food in a different place and he has to "roam" a tad to find it.... I rearrange his enclosure a tad...so he re-arranges it all day to his liking again..... also I put a few larger leaf of his favorite green or something that he has to work a tad more to get his nummies.... it keeps him busy...then he sleeps like.....a baby!!! lol

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice!!! I will definitely give that a try!!

I do want to know where do people get there plants from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The plant thing is difficult. I grow most of my own from seed so that I know they are safe. Anything grown at a commercial nursery will be full of systemic pesticides. When I buy these plants, I plant them in the ground and let them weather outside for at least one year. After that, I will only feed out growth that has occurred after one year.

Plastic plants don't work for me because all of my tortoises try to eat them.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Tom any advice on plants I can grow indoors during winter?

What plans do u like to put in your enclosures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
waitmanff said:
Tom any advice on plants I can grow indoors during winter?

What plans do u like to put in your enclosures?

My indoor enclosures are pretty spartan and functional. No plants. Outdoors I plant just about everything you can thing of. Lavatera, blue hibiscus, african hibiscus, clover, alfalfa, weed seed mixes, pasture grazing mixes, 6 different types of spineless opuntia cactus, 10 types of grape vines, mulberry trees, plantain, dandelion, arugula, endive, gazanias, nasturtiums, various squashes... Plus I cultivate and encourage all the good local weeds and grass in my area. I make sure they get watered when the rain is sparse and I let some go to seed each year and spread the seeds where I want them.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
I planted som geranium "trees" for hiding under and pansies before they were gone for the year. Now I have a fluffy fern and a christmas cactus. My little guy didnt like where I put them so if he mowed it down I moved it. He seems to like them on the side of the tank and up on his "hill" to nwp under...I use some fake ones with the real to make more shade and iding...unless he mows it over.....he is as picky as my cats!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Walmart will have the big Christmas tree totes the day after Christmas. :)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
I also sprinkled some greens seeds o. The cooler side and they grew up...he was. Urious...investigated a few days...then ate them all gone! So it is a perpetual surprise !!!!! Lol

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
I bought the mixed greens seed packets at the nursery... he mowed an eating path in them...then ate them all! Needless to say they only got head high before he ate them all. I think i will plant more and space the seeding so there will be some new and fresh frequently!