What to do with sulcata during winter in Texas

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TX
I was wondering what to do with my sulcata during the winter months in Texas if I do not have a heated night box yet? Was not expecting my sulcata to get as big as she is this fast. I was hoping I had 1 more winter left. So I have an indoor enclosure but it is too small for her to be inside the whole winter. What is the lowest temp she can be outside for a bit with out a heated box? I am just wondering if I can make do this winter or I need to bust my tail and build her a night box and larger enclosure outside before winter?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think your definitely going to need that night box if you want to leave her out for any length of time. I live in east Tx and even now, sometimes the night temps aren’t good for them. I’m by no means an expert but I’ve read that They really “need” at least 80F... apparently they can survive much lower but it’s a slow torture for them and their digestive systems.. how big is your Sully now? I’d love to see some pics:)

Wishing you the best of luck!

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I had the same questions and concerns as you. I will be following Tom's design for a night box, probably the 4x4x2. We are building next week. We ordered and received all the heating elements and thermostat last week. I recommend you follow his designs and order the heaters needed.
Good luck.

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
Thank you for the responses! Now I do want to say that I do have an outdoor enclosure for her that she is in all day and I bring her in at night right now. I need to make the outdoor enclosure a lot bigger when I make the night box. But do let her walk the backyard when I am outside an hour or 2. Charlie is around 2 years old and as of July 1st she is 9 inches long and 6.5 inches wide and is about 5 pounds. I have read the posts on your box Tom and took notes. Where is the best place to buy the heat mat and the radiant panel? We have a very large backyard and was wondering how I should run the power to the night box from my house. Do I need to have an electrician come out and run an underground power source or can I run an extension cord from an outlet on the house?
Here are some pics!

thumbnail-1.jpg thumbnail-2.jpg thumbnail-3.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Papabear10

San Antonio, Texas
Hey friend i live in Texas also. My Tank is 5 yrs old and is about 40 pounds. This past winter we had to make him a bigger box to sleep in. With a couple of heated lamps( 1 for day 1 for night. Cuz it is too cold he just roams the house in the winter and i have central heat but i also have a couple of floor heaters going so he can sit in front of if he gets cold. Most important thing is that he needs to have a water dish to drink cuz the heaters dry him out fast and look into a whole house humidifier. He needs humidity. The box is a basic simple box but does the job and he likes it. Ill try to send a pic.20190420_083854.jpegIMG_20190503_182504_01.jpeg

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
Charlie is a good looking tort! You’ve done a great job so far:)
Thank you very much! I try and worry about her all the time. Lol. I have had Russian tortoises maybe 14 years ago but have always wanted a sulcata. Now that my kids are grown pretty much I have time. Lol
I am still worried about her going after little rocks. I have a cuttle bone but I never see her go after it. but anything white she wants to eat. Any ideas why she does this? Also as far as food what do you recommend? I feed her matsuri and zoo mad grassland tortoise food. They are really hard so I soak them till soggy. Is that ok? I also give her cactus and collard greens. Put calcium powder on her food several times a week. Does that all sound ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the responses! Now I do want to say that I do have an outdoor enclosure for her that she is in all day and I bring her in at night right now. I need to make the outdoor enclosure a lot bigger when I make the night box. But do let her walk the backyard when I am outside an hour or 2. Charlie is around 2 years old and as of July 1st she is 9 inches long and 6.5 inches wide and is about 5 pounds. I have read the posts on your box Tom and took notes. Where is the best place to buy the heat mat and the radiant panel? We have a very large backyard and was wondering how I should run the power to the night box from my house. Do I need to have an electrician come out and run an underground power source or can I run an extension cord from an outlet on the house?
Here are some pics!
At that size, I'd just build the box and move her outside full time.

Roaming loose in the house is not the way to go. Its a disaster waiting to happen. Don't follow that advice. Also, heat lamps shouldn't be used over large tortoises. It will slow-burn the top of the carapace, and not warm their core anyway. I would not let the tortoise roam the yard either. Make a dedicated enclosure just for the tortoise and keep it in there.

You can get the Kane mats here. I like the 18x28 size:
https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane

Radiant heat panel:
https://www.reptilebasics.com/80-watt-radiant-heat-panel

This thermostat can be used to control both:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

The best way to power it is to have someone who knows what they are doing come install a proper GFI circuit with weather proofed outlets. You'll have the tortoise for decades, so its worth it to do it right. Having said that, I sometimes use extension cords. I have so many enclosures, it would cost a small fortune to run power to each and every one. And even if you do install a proper outlet, you still need an extension cord to get power into the box. This is your choice. You'll have to live with the consequences of a bad decision or the cost of a good decision. If you do use the extension cord method, don't skimp on the cord. Spend the money and get a good one that is 12 gauge. Don't buy the cheaper 14 or 16 gauge ones and don't "daisy chain" more than one extension cord. Buy a 12 gauge cord that is long enough to do the job. I like to bury them to protect them from the sun and elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
At that size, I'd just build the box and move her outside full time.

Roaming loose in the house is not the way to go. Its a disaster waiting to happen. Don't follow that advice. Also, heat lamps should be used over large tortoises. It will slow-burn the top of the carapace, and not warm their core anyway. I would not let the tortoise roam the yard either. Make a dedicated enclosure just for the tortoise and keep it in there.

You can get the Kane mats here. I like the 18x28 size:
https://www.tortoisesupply.com/kane

Radiant heat panel:
https://www.reptilebasics.com/80-watt-radiant-heat-panel

This thermostat can be used to control both:
https://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

The best way to power it is to have someone who knows what they are doing come install a proper GFI circuit with weather proofed outlets. You'll have the tortoise for decades, so its worth it to do it right. Having said that, I sometimes use extension cords. I have so many enclosures, it would cost a small fortune to run power to each and every one. And even if you do install a proper outlet, you still need an extension cord to get power into the box. This is your choice. You'll have to live with the consequences of a bad decision or the cost of a good decision. If you do use the extension cord method, don't skimp on the cord. Spend the money and get a good one that is 12 gauge. Don't buy the cheaper 14 or 16 gauge ones and don't "daisy chain" more than one extension cord. Buy a 12 gauge cord that is long enough to do the job. I like to bury them to protect them from the sun and elements.
Thank you so much!!!! This helps a lot!!!! Will order parts today!

Reactions: Tom

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
She is a beautiful tortoise.

I want to stress the point Tom made about buying a quality extension cord. You don't want to buy a cheep one and have it start a fire. It the cord itself gets hot it cannot handle the current going through it. Be safe.

What you are feeding her is all good stuff. She is still a little young. She may just not yet be interested in the cuttle bone. The calcium powder is always a good choice. Keep the cuttle bones available. She may start to go for them on her own. Soaking the food is fine. Do offer it on a hard surface like a terracotta pot bottom. This will help keep her beak filed down for her. Eating the grass outside will add variety to her diet and is great for her. I only feed pellet food every 2-3 days to encourage grass eating.

My kids are teens. My happy sulcata is a wonderful distraction from all that. :). I too have wanted a big tortoise for many years. Enjoy her.
Brenda

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
She is a beautiful tortoise.

I want to stress the point Tom made about buying a quality extension cord. You don't want to buy a cheep one and have it start a fire. It the cord itself gets hot it cannot handle the current going through it. Be safe.

What you are feeding her is all good stuff. She is still a little young. She may just not yet be interested in the cuttle bone. The calcium powder is always a good choice. Keep the cuttle bones available. She may start to go for them on her own. Soaking the food is fine. Do offer it on a hard surface like a terracotta pot bottom. This will help keep her beak filed down for her. Eating the grass outside will add variety to her diet and is great for her. I only feed pellet food every 2-3 days to encourage grass eating.

My kids are teens. My happy sulcata is a wonderful distraction from all that. :). I too have wanted a big tortoise for many years. Enjoy her.
Brenda
Thank you so much Brenda! I was going to ask about her beak? Does it look ok? She dies eat grass outside. So I will cut back on her other food . Thanks!

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
You can have a smaller enclosure now but they grow so fast. In 3 years it will need to be bigger. You can make a cinder block wall that can easily be expanded later. Mine is 40x36’ now for a 5-year old. I do expect to make it bigger when we move in 3-4 years. When I asked the same question a few months ago, Tom recommendation a 50’x50’ or larger for an adult. Now that I have watched Otis walk for hours at a time, I agree on that size. Remember they need to walk for proper digestion so the more space the better.

I hope that helps.
Brenda

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX
That is a lot of cinder blocks! Lol. Can I please see pictures of your enclosure?
Thanks,
Chrissy

45Charlie0ct

5 Year Member
TX

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Here are some pics!

View attachment 277427 View attachment 277428 View attachment 277429 View attachment 277430

What a handsome little guy!

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Yes! I have seen these! Looks great! I was thinking close to 30X30. I am really hoping to move back to the country after my son graduates so I can make a larger one for her. I might for now just use wood since that might be less expensive .
Thank you!
30x30 will be great. Yes living in the country is great for these big guys. Not only does he have a lot of space, he has a great variety of natural food growing all around him.

Good luck with your enclosure. I’ll share pictures of our night box after we build it.
Brenda