What to do with used coir/Is tort poo good manure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Two part thread, since I couldn't find either topic via forum search and I don't want to make too many threads...

Re: used coir: It seems like a waste to throw it out, even though I guess it is technically waste...

Could it be used to enrich the soil in my backyard? I was considering breaking up the soil, mixing it in, throwing it on top of what I already have out there, etc.

That said, am I really best off tossing it (even though I am planning to buy more soil to make a raised enclosure for my tort), or can it be put to good use?

Re: tort poo manure: ...is tortoise poo good manure? Seems like it would be...

: )

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I toss all of mine into my compost bins and worm bins.....

jkingler

5 Year Member
How does that work? Never composted anything and don't have a bin. My limited knowledge of composting informs me that you add water to the compost, turn the mixture every so often, and bacteria does the rest - is that about right?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Yes, you could use it to amend the soil. Will work best if you til it in. Left on top of the surface, when a good rain comes, it will wash away. I use mine in pots I grow flowers and other plants in.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Awesome. Gonna do exactly that, then. Thanks for the tip. :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We use all the tortoise poo in the planters, works great!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tort poo makes excellent fertilizer/compost. Most of us use it in one way or the other. Regarding wetting a compost bin, unless you are raising earthworms or night crawlers, compost bins don't need to be watered, at least I don'rt water mine.
If you don't have a compost or don't want one you can simply bury the poo in the ground or in pots.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I toss all of WalkingRocks poo in my veggi garden when I find it. then every spring I till the garden before planting.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Zamric said:
I toss all of WalkingRocks poo in my veggi garden when I find it. then every spring I till the garden before planting.

I'm betting that my mini-hog, Hamlet, and our Nigerian goats create slightly more poo than a Sulcata of that size, but only very slightly more... :p

Bet you get a bountiful harvest, though...ever try melons? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.