what to expect at an EXPO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avarice29

5 Year Member
I've been checking online and a reptile EXPO is coming to Anaheim Ca, real close to me. NARBC EXPO if that matters...

What should I expect if I go?
What do you guys at any EXPO?
It will be my first one... So I don't really know what to expect ^^

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
That is one of the biggest ones! You picked a good one.

Ever been to a trade show of any kind? Its like that...only lots of reptiles, reptile supplies, feeders, etc. Expect to see a lot of small reptiles in deli cups and small containers. Do not freak out. This is only for display and is standard practice for showing herps at an expo. Its only for 2-3 days.

Expect to see a LOT of ball pythons, corn snakes, kingsnakes, milksnakes, geckos, and bearded dragons. And then a lot of other types of snakes. Tortoises and turtles aren't spectacularly represented at most shows, but I imagine you will come across a handful of vendors that offer some.

Get there early! When you get in, take your time and check out every table. Bring lots of cash. Even if you don't bring home a new critter, you will surely see some cool reptile-themed apparel or doo-dad that you gotta have. Shows are also a good venue to pick up some supplies for cheap. Definitely better than petstore prices! Make yourself a little shopping list. You can probably go on the NARBC website and see a list of exactly who all is vending.

If you have never been a reptile show before, you are in for a TREAT!

And above else....bring a camera and takes LOTS of pics so you can post them here for all your fellow TFO buddies to enjoy!

Avarice29

5 Year Member
I just Google'd list of reptile EXPOs 2012 and a giant list... In Anaheim it will be this weekend... Really looking forward to it!!!

I've never gone to any trade or show... I'm really excited!!!
I've always been a bit afraid of snakes... Hopefully after this weekends that won't be the case!!

If I can get a hold of a decenct camera I'd love to share my experience with everyone!!

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
I love expo's. I went to the White Plains, NY show and they had some HUGE blood pythons and lots and lots and LOTS of ball python morphs. I didn't see many tortoises, though.A couple redfoots and a few aquatic turtles. I wasn't really looking, though.. Also lots of water dragons. It was pretty crowded even less than half an hour after the show started. And like StudentOfTheReptile said reptile shows are very good for supplies. I picked up a few lights for only FIVE DOLLARS!!

On an unrelated note I just HAD to have a pythons of the world tee shirt.

It was a four hour drive but in the end, well worth it! I came home with a salmon columbian redtailed boa constrictor male and a high gold normal female ball python. When the All New England reptile expo comes around the corner I'm sure to be there ;)

Enjoy the experience!

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Expos are a TON of fun, even if you don't buy anything. If there's any supplies or odds and ends that you have been looking around for, check for them at the expo. Bring cash, not all vendors have a machine to run credit cards.

The Anaheim show typically has a handful of vendors with a selection of captive bred turtles and tortoises, including ourselves. If I remember correctly, the last time I went personally there was at least one guy that had Aldabras there. It's been a couple years since I could go, so he may not be there anymore, but there's always a few cool vendors who carry the shelled types of reptiles.

If you can make it both days, do so. Saturday is when the hottest stuff will be there, especially first thing when the show opens - people looking for something very specific will show up first thing to make sure they get it. If you're looking for a deal, go on Sunday, as many vendors are willing to cut a bit of a deal to avoid having to ship animals back. Not all of them do, of course, but the hour before closing on Sunday is your best chance.

Visit the expo's website, and the website of any vendors you think you might visit to see if there are coupons. For example, we have coupons for nearly every show we go to - just gotta visit the website and print it out! I know that the Super Shows often have coupons to get discounted admission as well.

Lastly, HAVE FUN! Take your time, look around, enjoy yourself. :) Expos are fun, and Anaheim is one of the bigger ones on the west coast. We'll see you there!

-Jen

Avarice29

5 Year Member
I've been reading up a bit online and I have very VERY high expectations for the weekend.
I don't think I'l buy a snake... but I will buy some supplies.. and hopefully a new companion :)

I really wish I could go both ways.. but Sunday I have a wedding to attend.. but I will be there most of the day Saturday :D
I visited your website and have my cupons ready. I hope to see you there :)

Is anyone going to go..I'd love to meet some of my TFO members there. If you're going.. could ya give me a heads up ^^?

Status
Not open for further replies.