What to feed a fussy, malnourished baby angulate?

SouthernComfort

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Town
Hi all.
A friend recently gave me their baby angulate tortoise which they could not take care of properly. She is severely underweight and was fed only ice-burg lettuce for the better part of her life. Currently, she will only occasionally eat mulberry leaves, most lettuces and the stamen of hibiscus flowers.
She refuses to eat opuntia, dandelions, most weeds, ice plants, grape leaves.
She tries to eat the fallen fruit of the Australian cherry tree but I don’t let her as I think it’s poisonous and she is not a fruit-eating species.
I hope one of you can’t help help I am feeling very out of my depth here since I work with horses not tortoises but I want to offer her the best quality of life.
Thank you

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello and Welcome! We have a member here who is very close to you . Maybe @CarolM can help. She raises some beautiful bowsprits. Kudos for you for rescuing this little guy and looking for the right information. Good luck. We’d love to see a picture also:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are picky and they don't like change. They eat what they are used to eating. It takes time to get them eating new foods, even when the new foods are good foods. Mince up a tiny amount of the new stuff and thoroughly mix it in with the old favorites. In time the new stuff will become familiar and you can up the percentages.

Daily soaks will keep the baby hydrated, and also tend to stimulate the appetite as well.

Also very important during this time of year that the baby has a warm basking area in the enclosure to go to. Do you have it indoors with a heat lamp?

SouthernComfort

Cape Town
Tortoises are picky and they don't like change. They eat what they are used to eating. It takes time to get them eating new foods, even when the new foods are good foods. Mince up a tiny amount of the new stuff and thoroughly mix it in with the old favorites. In time the new stuff will become familiar and you can up the percentages.

Daily soaks will keep the baby hydrated, and also tend to stimulate the appetite as well.

Also very important during this time of year that the baby has a warm basking area in the enclosure to go to. Do you have it indoors with a heat lamp?
I will definitely try to introduce food using this method. I’ve just always been concerned that she eats very little (about two bites) and I’d give her more nutritious food but I suppose unhealthy food is better than nothing.
She stays in an outdoor enclosure with direct sunshine in the mornings. On the days that are particularly cold she is brought into a temporary enclosure and once she is at room temp she is given a heat lamp but for the most part she is outside.

SouthernComfort

Cape Town
Hello and Welcome! We have a member here who is very close to you . Maybe @CarolM can help. She raises some beautiful bowsprits. Kudos for you for rescuing this little guy and looking for the right information. Good luck. We’d love to see a picture also:)
Thank you so much for your advice and support!