what to feed a redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dowdys

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wales uk
Ive had my redfoot for about four yeras and im really new to looking after a tortoise never mind a redfoot, he had slight pyramiding as the previous owner did not feed him any protein.

Im looking to give him a better diet as i dont think the diet hes on now is sutible and substancial enough to help him grow can anyone give me any ideas of new foods to feed him

im from the uk

he weighs around 5 pounds

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura:

What foods are you offering him now?

You made a comment about the tortoise not getting enough protein in the past and that's why he's a little bit bumpy.

Pyramiding really doesn't come because of too much or too little protein. That might have a very small part in the equation, but mainly its caused by not enough humidity in the habitat.

Have you read any care sheets for redfoots? Madkins007 has some in his signature library, and Redfoot Nerd has some in his signature. If you real those care sheets, you will have a good idea what you should be feeding your tortoise.

dowdys

5 Year Member
wales uk
at the moment i try and feed him some fruit and veg but i always seem to be feeding him the sam esorts of fruit and veg as im not sure as to what is poisonous to him, i8 feed him egg mice and pinkies for protein, i use a cuttlebone but i cant seem to keep the humidity so i think i might have to put half a lid on his viv to try and keep some humidity :( i have no idea what the temps and uv lights and all that stuff i really need some good sturdy advice

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Mid 80's are fine for the temps. You can cover the vivarium to help retain humidity. I dont use UV lights. Some folks do. I supplement for vitamen D3,as well as natural sunshine as much as possible. Protien can be worms,pinkies,or moistened dry lowfat cat food,once a week. For some variety,try your local Mexican store if you have one. Oops! Just noticed you are in the UK. Ethnic sections of your local grocery might be an option. Greens such as mustard,turnip and collards are a staple which I feed every other day. Get online and do a little research and you will find some good sites on local wild foods.I'll leave you a link to one.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?mode=cl&col=all

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
dowdys said:
Ive had my redfoot for about four yeras and im really new to looking after a tortoise never mind a redfoot, he had slight pyramiding as the previous owner did not feed him any protein.

Im looking to give him a better diet as i dont think the diet hes on now is sutible and substancial enough to help him grow can anyone give me any ideas of new foods to feed him

im from the uk

he weighs around 5 pounds

Hi, and welcome!

Protein does not seem to have much relationship to pyramiding, although everyone used to think that.

I have a lot of stuff in my site, listed in my signature below, but you can also try http://www.tortoisetrust.org for some great articles with a British slant.

Status
Not open for further replies.