What to Feed Aquatic Turtles and Why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey everyone,

Months ago, my partner from tTR, Steve, wrote an awesome research article comparing 22 aquatic turtle diets.

Our new video that I've just finished, which briefly summarizes his work can be seen here: http://youtu.be/h2iByuBUGJI

The actual article in it's entirety can be seen here:
http://theturtleroom.com/blog/2012/04/27/commercial-foods-benefitsuses-staplessupplements/

Thanks for looking. We think this is a great resource, and it really took a lot of effort from Steve to put it together, so we are hoping that more people see it following the release of the video.

Anthony

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Thanks guys. Steve really did an amazing job with the article. The video is just my way of supporting Steve's hard work and bringing some traffic to his article.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I just had to share that video on my page, You guys are great :) Please make more.... you'll be saving lives

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much for the kind words. It really means a lot.

We look forward to making lots more movies, and hope they continue to get better. Right now, as far as the movies, there is way more potential than substance as we see it. That is what's exciting about it for us though!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't worry too much about the reptomin. It's good to offer a varied diet anyway, and it's not that reptomin is horrible, it's just that there are better choices out there. I've used reptomin for 20 years, and it has lasted for a reason, but the other side of the coin is that it's been around for 20 years and hasn't changed with husbandry techniques and science which have obviously progressed a lot in that time.

For Callagur borneoensis, a species I have never kept, which you could have guessed if you knew I lived in the northeast, I would consider a pellet like zoomed's maintenance formula and supplementation provided by various types of plant materials. Mazuri could work too, as a friend of mine used it with this species with success down in FL.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
AustinASU said:
What about for Borneo Painted River Terrapins Anthony?

Austin - as I recall, they are generally herbivorous like an adult Slider. So, the pellets that are suggested for more herbivorous species would be suggested for Batagur borneoensis. I know folks who have raised gorgeous specimens on Mazuri, as well. As mentioned in the article, the high levels of Vitamin E in Mazuri make the 40% protein doable even for herbivorous species.

Status
Not open for further replies.