What to feed baby Reeves turtle?

crazyanimalperson

Location (City and/or State)
New Zealand
Hello
I am about to get a 4 week old Reeves turtle hatchling. I've been reading as much as I can about them (for the millionth time lol) but I'm suddenly wondering whether babies require a different diet to adults? I ask because the breeder has told me to feed him on a diet of frozen bloodworms for another month. I've never heard this before but maybe I missed something when I was researching? Do Reeves turtle hatchlings need strictly bloodworms for the first month or are they omnivores like I thought with a slightly higher protein requirement than adults. I thought they required a variety of pellets, proteins, veggies etc. I would like to make sure I've got the correct foods before I get him. :) Thank you in advance!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome!

I can't really think of any reason to not offer other prey items (and even duckweed to play with and nibble). The more variety you offer, the less chance you have of malnutrition and a picky juvenile.

Obviously, make sure that any foods are small enough to swallow in one gulp (turtles don't chew, and hatchlings may be poor at tearing prey items larger than their throat diameter). This may be the primary reason your breeder has recommended staying with the bloodworms, as a month-old hatchling will be wee. (My crystal ball is in the shop: ask them to explain their recommendation. Most proper breeders won't be insulted with the question, and would enjoy talking about caring for the critter they love.)

Insects with heavy exoskelleton can cause digestive problems and blockages.

Pellets are OK if they will take them. But again, choose something size-appropriate and offer it pre-soaked.

Keep portions reasonably tiny; the stomach won't be any larger than the skull.

Congrats! We look forward to photos...

crazyanimalperson

New Zealand
Welcome!

I can't really think of any reason to not offer other prey items (and even duckweed to play with and nibble). The more variety you offer, the less chance you have of malnutrition and a picky juvenile.

Obviously, make sure that any foods are small enough to swallow in one gulp (turtles don't chew, and hatchlings may be poor at tearing prey items larger than their throat diameter). This may be the primary reason your breeder has recommended staying with the bloodworms, as a month-old hatchling will be wee. (My crystal ball is in the shop: ask them to explain their recommendation. Most proper breeders won't be insulted with the question, and would enjoy talking about caring for the critter they love.)

Insects with heavy exoskelleton can cause digestive problems and blockages.

Pellets are OK if they will take them. But again, choose something size-appropriate and offer it pre-soaked.

Keep portions reasonably tiny; the stomach won't be any larger than the skull.

Congrats! We look forward to photos...

Thank you very much for your help :) I'm completely new to turtle ownership so am anxious to get it right! I'll keep that all in mind.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Thank you very much for your help :) I'm completely new to turtle ownership so am anxious to get it right! I'll keep that all in mind.
It's pretty exciting!

I brought a last-year's hatchling of another species home yesterday, but was still surprised by how small the head is. S/he did go for a bunch of isopods like a crazy thing this morning, though. lol

The instinct to grab with the beak and tear with the feet will be present, but there will be a learning curve about how to coordinate all of that while not losing the meal or trying to swallow something too ambitious. My guess is the breeder's experience is that bloodworms are just easiest until you both get your sea legs under you.

crazyanimalperson

New Zealand
It's pretty exciting!

I brought a last-year's hatchling of another species home yesterday, but was still surprised by how small the head is. S/he did go for a bunch of isopods like a crazy thing this morning, though. lol

The instinct to grab with the beak and tear with the feet will be present, but there will be a learning curve about how to coordinate all of that while not losing the meal or trying to swallow something too ambitious. My guess is the breeder's experience is that bloodworms are just easiest until you both get your sea legs under you.

It's super exciting!!! They're amazing creatures. I've spent years watching other people's turtles on YouTube and now I'll finally be able to watch my very own, which is thrilling! :D
My instinct is to offer variety so I'm thinking that I'll introduce new foods a little at a time to see if he eats them and if not then there won't be a lot of waste in the tank.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Many keepers use a separate feeding pan...you have to make sure the water temp stays optimal, but when the critter stops eating: the meal is over and clean up is a breeze.