WHAT TO FEED MY 1YR OLD TORTOISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a 1 year old tortoise. I feed him roman lettuce and squash. Is there anything else i should feed her/him?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What type of tortoise would be helpful

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would really help to know what kind you have. Otherwise check out the tortoise table or the tortoise library for edible plants and weeds

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh sorry guys. Its an African Spur thigh Tortoise

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
If possible (check out local Hispanic markets or grow your own) try cut up spineless optuna cactus. Orchard hay too.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just to clarify something- the big African species is the 'spurred tortoise'. The 'spur-thighed' is a smaller Mediterranean tortoise related to the Greeks, etc. Spurred tortoises are often called 'sulcata' after their scientific name just to avoid this confusion- a common mistake LOTS of people make- even some book authors.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Just to clarify something- the big African species is the 'spurred tortoise'. The 'spur-thighed' is a smaller Mediterranean tortoise related to the Greeks, etc. Spurred tortoises are often called 'sulcata' after their scientific name just to avoid this confusion- a common mistake LOTS of people make- even some book authors.

Really? I've read the reverse is true...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to feed him a lot more variety. Lots of grass, the right weeds. Mulberry, grape, hibiscus and rose leaves. Opuntia cactus pads. Mazuri. Other grocery store greens, etc... The list goes on forever. You also need to be supplementing with some calcium.

Glad you are here. Yours sulcata's life is just about to get a whole lot better. :)

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
Tom said:
You need to feed him a lot more variety. Lots of grass, the right weeds. Mulberry, grape, hibiscus and rose leaves. Opuntia cactus pads. Mazuri. Other grocery store greens, etc... The list goes on forever. You also need to be supplementing with some calcium.

Glad you are here. Yours sulcata's life is just about to get a whole lot better. :)

Thank you! Im so afriad to feed him grass from outsides, because i dont know if the grass hads been sprayed && I heard thats bad for our turtles to eat.

Madkins007 said:

Oh really?! Thanks for the fact!
So mine is a Spur-thighed && also sulcata? right :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
[/quote]

Oh really?! Thanks for the fact!
So mine is a Spur-thighed && also sulcata? right :)

[/quote]

Your photo shows a "Sulcata" Geochelone Sulcata is the latin name.

The "Spur Thigh" is commonly refered to as the greek species as well.

Sometimes they will use "Spur thigh" for the european greeks, and north african greeks,

and "African Spur Thigh" for the Sulcata. It can get confusing unless you understand and know the differences. They both have spurs on theyre hind legs.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
do you have a yard? if not you will soon need one for him. They grow very large and need to live outside and have heat in the Winter.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
welll i dont right now but she/he is still very small and i heard it takes them along time to grow, but i will soon when she/he out grows his cage:)

Status
Not open for further replies.