What to feed now that the winter is comming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

The winter is comming and it is already in the 40's where I live. I have tried many times to make some seeds grow in my house but it just doesnt work.
In the winter I feed Hermy market store food.
-corn salads
-endives
-kale (1/3 of her plates, 1 time every 2 weeks)
-escarole
-chicory
-beet greens
-spring mix
-Carrot (2 little slices every saturday)
-butternut squash (1 time every 2 months)
-Celery leaves (once a month) Hermy does not go crazy for them
-Water cress
-Pear cactus (a bit every month :) )

Does basil and Meslcum are ok?

Does anyone of you have any ideas of what could I feed Hermy during the winter?

Thanks

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know some people who make a mixture for their torts, of soaked mazuri, all kinds of greens, dandilion, endive, escarole, etc., some fruit, and some veggies. Then chop everything up and mix it. Make balls with an ice cream scoop, and freeze them. I do this for my boxies. I also put grape leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves, and Rose of Sharon floweres and leaves. In the AM I take out a ball and defrost it. My boxies go crazy over this. I know people who do this for their tortoises for the winter, when they can't get out for fresh food.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...You can add collard, mustard, turnip, & dandelion greens to your list. I steamed green beans, pumpkin, zucchini, summer, & butternut squash & froze it in baggies for the winter. I will order a big bucket of Mazuri and I can usually get greens of some kind all winter here. Plus I started a fall garden that will last til it gets cold. It is cold only a few weeks here.
Good luck
Patsy

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
terryo said:
I know some people who make a mixture for their torts, of soaked mazuri, all kinds of greens, dandilion, endive, escarole, etc., some fruit, and some veggies. Then chop everything up and mix it. Make balls with an ice cream scoop, and freeze them. I do this for my boxies. I also put grape leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves, and Rose of Sharon floweres and leaves. In the AM I take out a ball and defrost it. My boxies go crazy over this. I know people who do this for their tortoises for the winter, when they can't get out for fresh food.

I like that idea, what do your torts think of this??

K9KidsLove said:
Hi...You can add collard, mustard, turnip, & dandelion greens to your list. I steamed green beans, pumpkin, zucchini, summer, & butternut squash & froze it in baggies for the winter. I will order a big bucket of Mazuri and I can usually get greens of some kind all winter here. Plus I started a fall garden that will last til it gets cold. It is cold only a few weeks here.
Good luck
Patsy

Does it get soggy after you thaw it??

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
terryo said:

Thanks for the idea Terry :)
Does the mazzuri stay soft after you defrost it when you serve them to your boxies?

K9KidsLove said:
Good luck
Patsy

Thanks Patsy :)
When you say collard and turnip, are you talking about the vegetables or the greens, I knew Collard greens and turnip greens were good for tortoise, But I did not know about the vegetables. Where I live, They cut the greens of the vegetables before selling it, That is why it is so hard to find some greens around here.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Yes, it is the leaves, not the turnip bulb, & they are soggy when thawed. I mix it with whatever I have fresh & the dampened Mazuri and they eat it.
Good luck
Patsy

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...Yes, it is the leaves, not the turnip bulb, & they are soggy when thawed. I mix it with whatever I have fresh & the dampened Mazuri and they eat it.
Good luck
Patsy

Thanks Patsy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.