What to finish the wood with

Sydgeo21

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I am building my tort an enclosure with maple and birch wood. I had bought food grade stain/finish (meant for cutting boards mainly) I figured this would be the safest option for my tort. What do you guys think? Would this be the safest option? Also for lining the bottom would you recommend a pool/pond liner or shower curtain or no liner?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am building my tort an enclosure with maple and birch wood. I had bought food grade stain/finish (meant for cutting boards mainly) I figured this would be the safest option for my tort. What do you guys think? Would this be the safest option? Also for lining the bottom would you recommend a pool/pond liner or shower curtain or no liner?
I recommend not using wood. It can't stand up to the constant moisture. There is no off-the-shelf product that will work to protect it. Expanded PVC sheets are a much better option.

You can use non-toxic low VOC boat paint and primer that is meant to be submerged. That will cost around $250-300.

Or you can use Pond Shield. Its tricky to work with, but it does work as long as you don't miss a spot.

What size and species of tortoise are we talking about?

Sydgeo21

Ohio
I recommend not using wood. It can't stand up to the constant moisture. There is no off-the-shelf product that will work to protect it. Expanded PVC sheets are a much better option.

You can use non-toxic low VOC boat paint and primer that is meant to be submerged. That will cost around $250-300.

Or you can use Pond Shield. Its tricky to work with, but it does work as long as you don't miss a spot.

What size and species of tortoise are we talking about?
So you don’t think the food grade finish will be safe? It’s for an adult Hermann tortoise

Sydgeo21

Ohio
I’ve already built the wood enclosure…. I just haven’t put a finish on the wood yet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So you don’t think the food grade finish will be safe? It’s for an adult Hermann tortoise
I have no idea if it is "safe" for tortoises. What I know is that it won't hold up to the necessary constant dampness. Nothing store bought will.

Sorry man. I know its a bummer. I tried to use wood for years. As frustrated as you might feel, imagine the frustration of the bottom literally falling out of your year and a half old enclosure... Not fun. I switched to plastic after that. No more rot here ever.

Sydgeo21

Ohio
I have no idea if it is "safe" for tortoises. What I know is that it won't hold up to the necessary constant dampness. Nothing store bought will.

Sorry man. I know its a bummer. I tried to use wood for years. As frustrated as you might feel, imagine the frustration of the bottom literally falling out of your year and a half old enclosure... Not fun. I switched to plastic after that. No more rot here ever.
Thanks for the advice! He’s in pvc now and he just needs something bigger since he’s about full grown now. I like the pvc it keeps the heat and humidity in, just thought this would be a fun project.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure the “food grade stain” that you purchased will be fine & not harm your tort. The trick is to put it on & let it thoroughly dry out per manufacturers recommendations. Then add on another 7-10 days.
You want all the chemicals & thinners to thoroughly cure & dry.

Many wood treatment products are manufactured for contact with food products that humans are going to come in contact with. I use all kinds of natural products on wooden bowls that I turn. Mineral oil, bees wax, walnut oil, etc. When we built our Sullys first wooden enclosure I used a few coats of KILZ. Then a thorough drying. Our Sully is still thriving.

One of my go to “safe” finishes ➡️ https://www.lowes.com/pd/WATCO-16-fl-oz-Butcher-block-oil/5001495623

Sydgeo21

Ohio
I’m sure the “food grade stain” that you purchased will be fine & not harm your tort. The trick is to put it on & let it thoroughly dry out per manufacturers recommendations. Then add on another 7-10 days.
You want all the chemicals & thinners to thoroughly cure & dry.

Many wood treatment products are manufactured for contact with food products that humans are going to come in contact with. I use all kinds of natural products on wooden bowls that I turn. Mineral oil, bees wax, walnut oil, etc. When we built our Sullys first wooden enclosure I used a few coats of KILZ. Then a thorough drying. Our Sully is still thriving.

One of my go to “safe” finishes ➡️ https://www.lowes.com/pd/WATCO-16-fl-oz-Butcher-block-oil/5001495623
This is actually the finish I purchased (the watco butcher block) glad to know your tort has been healthy with this. I am also lining it with a pond liner just in case so he shouldn’t have any contact with the wood anyways. I’m planning on letting it dry out about a week at least before putting him in.