What tortoise is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splash Cat

5 Year Member
Hello! I'm new here, though not new to the world of herping. I've had plenty of lizards, frogs, and a snake in my time, but one thing I've never had was a tortoise. I had two box turtles as a child, my dad found both of them beside the road and brought them to our little fenced in yard. They lived in the tomato plants and LOVED banana, but that's the extent of my experience with shelled reptiles. I've been thinking about getting one for awhile, but the problem is, I've got no idea WHAT to get! So I was hoping y'all could help. Here's a list of things to consider.

-- I've got two herps, currently, my beardie and a sinaloan milk snake.
-- No dogs, just two cats.
-- I intend to keep this tortoise outside every summer. I live in NC, so the temps around here get to 85-105 degrees during that time.
-- Nothing huge, though nothing tiny, either.
-- I have a 5 sq yard area for a pen right up against the house and about 2 sq yards of space inside.
-- Feeding isn't an issue, I've got an acre filled with all kinds of veggies and fruits.

So, does anyone nice enough to read all that have any ideas on what would be best? Money's not TO much of an issue, but I don't want to drop, like, $1,000 or something ridicules like that.

Thank you for your time! I hope this wasn't to much of a bother!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I'm it real sure about your climate. I didn't consider my weather when I got my leopard. I wanted a larger tortoise and could provide what I needed to, to make his life good. Leopards and Red Foots aren't small and they aren't too big. Below in my post are Toms threads on raising leopards from a hatchling. Check them out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I usually recommend a Russian tortoise for a first tortoise. They're hardy, fun to watch, eventually get to be people oriented and pretty forgiving of new care-taker's mistakes.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'd suggest a European tortoise, specifically, in this order, a Hermann's, an Iberian, and/or a Marginated...possibly a Steppe (Russian), but N. Carolina might be a bit humid for one, depending which part you're in (Lowlands are problematic, but the mountainous areas should be fine).

N. Carolina's general temperture range in summer is ideal for Europeans, but you'll need an indoor enclosure when the temps drop.

These are all tortoises with BIG personalities and are rarely shy, once you know one another.

And welcome to our little slice of Chelondian Heaven. :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I agree with Terry. An Eastern Hermann's or marginated tortoise would work great for you. I think a red foot would do well too in your climate.

However, ANY species of tortoise is going to need MUCH more space than that. As a minimum for a small species I'd suggest something 10x10' outdoors and 4x8' indoors, but bigger would be better, and bigger allows the tortoise more and better areas to thermoregulate during those hot summer days outside.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think red foot would be a good tortoise for you . Get a cherry head they are a little smaller. But I also have to agree with Tom they are going to need bigger living space good luck and welcome.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. I agree with Terry. An Eastern Hermann's or marginated tortoise would work great for you. I think a red foot would do well too in your climate.

However, ANY species of tortoise is going to need MUCH more space than that. As a minimum for a small species I'd suggest something 10x10' outdoors and 4x8' indoors, but bigger would be better, and bigger allows the tortoise more and better areas to thermoregulate during those hot summer days outside.

He said yards not feet, I could be wrong but that would be 25' by 25'.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a conversion thingy on my Apple desktop. 5 Sq. yards = 45 sq. feet. So about 5x9'. I consider that a bit small, even for Testudo sp. Bigger would be better.

2 sq. yds. = 18 sq. ft., so roughly 3x6'. Not terrible, but still not really big enough for an adult tortoise to live indoors in my opinion.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
5 square yards is an enclosure that measures 1 yard wide by 5 yards long... or 3 feet by 15 feet. (Or Tom's 5' x 9'... the maths is the same)

It is quite big. Not bad for a single tort.... could be a bit bigger ideally

Splash Cat

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I usually recommend a Russian tortoise for a first tortoise. They're hardy, fun to watch, eventually get to be people oriented and pretty forgiving of new care-taker's mistakes.

I looked into those guys and they definitely caught my attention.
Thank you!

Tom said:

I've really been looking into the Red Foots, and then stumbled upon the Cherry Head. We'er limited on space inside, so I imagine a Cherry Head would be better suited there. I do 4x8, maybe even a bit more.
As for outside, I can make adjustments to sizing, we've got an acre of clear land behind our house so it's not a problem. I've already been to Lowe's, looking at wood and such. I can't wait to get this started!
Thank you for your time!

JoesMum said:
5 square yards is an enclosure that measures 1 yard wide by 5 yards long... or 3 feet by 15 feet. (Or Tom's 5' x 9'... the maths is the same)

It is quite big. Not bad for a single tort.... could be a bit bigger ideally

Sizing can be adjusted, I'm usually one to spoil my herps. ;)
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.