TORTOISELOVER11

5 Year Member
immayo said:
Tortoise supply has some 5-7 month old redfoots for $135 right now

thanks

RedfootsRule said:
TORTOISELOVER11 said:
RedfootsRule said:
Depends, where are you located? I have a yearling red foot that was a keep-back.

Oklahoma

I don't do shipping during winter, sorry =/.
Some other members on this forum do, however.
thanks

TORTOISELOVER11 said:
immayo said:
Tortoise supply has some 5-7 month old redfoots for $135 right now

thanks

RedfootsRule said:
TORTOISELOVER11 said:
RedfootsRule said:
Depends, where are you located? I have a yearling red foot that was a keep-back.

Oklahoma

I don't do shipping during winter, sorry =/.
Some other members on this forum do, however.
thanks

i was thinking about waiting till my b-day do you sell them during July

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
RedfootsRule said:
Redfoots, contrary to belief, are NOT solitary animals. They are in fact very social, in captivity, and actually in the wild, to an extent, also. Who are we to know? They could have complex social patterns and families........(Uh-oh. I'm one of those people with an unrealistic view of the wild :))
In my herd, certain torts have a liking for certain others. My first pair that was kept "just the two of them" for several years always sleep next to each other, every night, and commonly do the "nose-rub". I liken it to a hug :). In my opinion, it does no harm to have multiple torts (obviously the species which males are more dominant are excluded), and in some cases, its beneficial. I've had hatchlings before with eating problems when kept solitary....Paired up with some others, they begin to eat within a day or two. They learn from each other.
Another red foot is your only option. Or a yellow-foot. Due to over-lapping ranges in the wild, I see no harm in pairing these species; others, there is significant risk. However, it must be noted that a yellow-foot can grow almost double the size of a yellow foot, and in ten years you may have a problem....

All very, very true.

As far as pairing goes, stick to another Red Foot, or a Yellow Foot, or any variety of the two.

Red Foots are much more social than a lot of other torts, and are much less likely to fight than other types, such as Russians.

In the near future, I intend on getting my Toby a friend, whom will also be a Red Foot.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
If you find you must get another tortoise and want to keep them together in the same enclosure, then there is only one good setup and that is to get 2 female redfoot tortoise (Chelonoidis [Geochelone] carbonaria) the same size as your male. Remember they live for 50 years.

*If you get a different species, he will bully, If you get a smaller redfoot he will bully, if you get another male, one will bully, if you get one female, he will bully her. From my research either keep the male alone or with a group of females, better if the 2 females are slightly older. :tort::tort::tort:

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
One year olds do not bully, and adults rarely bully. I say rarely because there are exceptions to every rule.

The information online about redfoots "bullying" or the "2 females to a male" is complete misinformation...I don't think the people writing it actually know a thing about red foots.
I keep several males and females in a group, and tons of yearlings and hatchlings together. Never had a "bullying" issue. Just another misconception of the internet.

Radiated

5 Year Member
lol. just dont mix...from personal experience! You really dont wanna experience it yourself. Its possible that nothings gonna happen but why risk it? I used to think that its not gonna matter but yeah...

TORTOISELOVER11

5 Year Member
will any one have a have a yearling red foot tort for sale in July

i want a red foot for my b-day but i need a yearling because i already have a one year old red foot i want to pair with it i would prefer a female and have a budget of $150.00 including shipping:tort::tort::tort:

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
RE: will any one have a have a yearling red foot tort for sale in July

TORTOISELOVER11 said:
i want a red foot for my b-day but i need a yearling because i already have a one year old red foot i want to pair with it i would prefer a female and have a budget of $150.00 including shipping:tort::tort::tort:

Lol good thing you don't live in canada tortoises start out at 300 and only go upwards from there.

Also concider in your budget that you may down the road need a second setup if bullying happens yes it is rare but it can happen you need to beable to afford other light/heating fixtures, bulbs/CHE and a substrate hides can be made from just about anything but keep this in mind. If you are waiting till july you have time to save more money good luck and remeber to consider all variables XD

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Some people don't take ownership of a tortoise or any animal seriously.
Too many have been put into a bad habitat situation by irresponsible owners. I may not know so much about the RF species but what ever you decide, please just think of the best interest of the tortoise first. What ever the situation you create for your tortoises should be without stress. There are many things that can cause stress to a tortoise or lack of like, temperature, nutrition, light, noise, no hide, humidity, children, glass walls, small enclosures, and other tortoises even of the same species.

TORTOISELOVER11

5 Year Member
Stars said:
Some people don't take ownership of a tortoise or any animal seriously.
Too many have been put into a bad habitat situation by irresponsible owners. I may not know so much about the RF species but what ever you decide, please just think of the best interest of the tortoise first. What ever the situation you create for your tortoises should be without stress. There are many things that can cause stress to a tortoise or lack of like, temperature, nutrition, light, noise, no hide, humidity, children, glass walls, small enclosures, and other tortoises even of the same species.
i know there are risk but i assure you i have done PLENTY of research on fred foots i studied info about them a year before i got one trust I'm a good red foot owner

Status
Not open for further replies.