What tortoise species would be best for me?

Ido

Hello everyone!
Ive had RES for years but i want a tortoise...always have! I thought id start by telling you all about me and see what you think are the best species to match my life and environment. :) I live in southern New Mexico. In the summer our temps can get up into the 100s but average at around 94 with lows averaging around 63. In the winter (i was planning on the tort living inside during winter) the temps average at 55 highs and 25 lows. We do not get alot of rain, but i have a water hose! lol :) I own my home and have lived here for over ten years and im not moving anytime soon. I have a pretty decent size yard and can dedicate it all to my tort with some modifications. I want a baby to start with so im assuming ill have a few years to modify my yard and work my way up into a bigger and bigger pen, starting with a small seciton for the baby.

I have done a bit of research and cant stop thinking about a few species. Leopard torts seem ideal, i am aware of their adult size. I do want one that is pretty big but not as big as a sulcata. The only thing im worried about with the Leopard is finding the grass for it when it is bigger. Im not sure how that works. But i live in the desert and it comes from the desert and it is the size i want so i thought it was worth looking into. The other ones are the burmese mountain tortoise because its the right size, i know it neeeds high humitity but perhaps theres a way i can raise the humidity in an outdoor pen? Inside i wont have a problem because i already have hermit crabs who require 70%-85% humidity. The other two are redfoots or yellow foots. I like their size too and the fact that they can have a more varied diet than the Leopard. Again just the question of how to house them outdoors in a dry climate when they need humidity.

Housing them outdoors is very important to me i want to make their pen as close to their natural habitat as possible. But i also want to be able to bring them indoors which is why i dont want a sulcata.

Also i only want to get one...is this okay or do they need to have friends?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

My choice for you would be a leopard tortoise. They can cope with the hot/dry much better than the others you mentioned, which would require a more rain forest atmosphere. Also, the Manouria do get pretty big.

You can start out by cultivating a patch of dirt for the pen, adding soil amendments and plant some grass, weeds and clovers. You will have to water it a couple times a week, but that shouldn't be a problem. The leopard tortoise will eat just about any greens you can grow in that plot.

Good luck with your decision.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, having just one is the very best way to go, but a warning is that most folks end up not just being able to stick to having just one.

Your saying you want a natural type enclosure and while you could do that for the Burmese, it will take a lot more time, work, preplanning and money. I really think you will be happiest with the leopard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with the ladies here.

(That's three times in a row Jacqui!!! :D)

One alternative you might consider is a South African Leopard. They get bigger, have more outgoing personalities, and in theory, since they come from a more temperate climate, they can handle you colder winters better.

Ido

wow thanks everyone! I have alot of research to do and planning. Im not going to bring anything home before i have EVERYTHING i need, That means building the brick enclosure outside and the turtle table inside. Is it okay to go ahead and build the outdoor pen big enough for when the turtle is bigger even though im planning to get it as a baby? Is there such a thing as too much space for a baby leopard? I plan on staying out there with him for a while each day to watch him in the big pen so i dont lose him until he gets bigger. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to worry about birds carrying baby tortoises off. You can build the big yard, but then fence off a small portion of it that you are able to cover with chicken wire or some sort of protection from animals that prey on baby tortoises.

Ido

Ohh wow I didnt think of that! We have some pretty big crows.... Thanks!! Chicken wire is easy to get and work with...no problem

Ido

Is it possible for anyone to list a few other tortoise species i could look into? Others that do well in hot/dry climates? Of any size..... Im having a hard time looking specificly for torts that do well with this environment without researching EVERY species individually...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Greeks and Russians come to mind.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Greeks and Russians are excellent suggestions...I prefer Hermanns! (But I'm biased, lol.)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
This is tough, we all know. But Ido, I think it is awesome that you are doing your due diligence and researching first, to be sure, and that you want to have the habitat/enclosure ready before bringing your new buddy home. THAT, is fabulousity! : )

PS As you can see from my signature, I am a Greek geek and loco for leopards, but those Hermanns and Russians are cool, too. Burmese might be a lot of a lot in your area. Great choice if you are prepared to go the distance.

Well, I was simply no help with the which species for me question. I am just going to support your decision. : )

Ido

Ill make sure and look into greeks and russians and hermanns today. :) I cant wait to start prepping lol but i want to have a specific species in mind while in building. Ive wanted a tortoise for so long, im going to make sure to do it right the first time!