Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did you see the rust red tail? Only red I seen.
No. I can't see colors due to the angle of the light and my little screen. It would have to be a pretty small male to be a RT, but its certainly possible. Maybe FL redtails are smaller than the CA or more north eastern types. Their mountain lions are pint sized, so that could be the case here too.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I love Opo's track along the fenceline!
He just walks along the fence now and then during the day. He doesn't try getting out, like climbing on the fence. If I thought it was stressing him out. I would block it off.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I can't tell. Its too small and I can't enlarge the video. Size and shape suggest a red shouldered hawk, and I think you have those there. That would be my best guess.

@wccmog10 might know.
The bird has been hanging around today. Flying around and sitting on branches in the tall pines. I am assuming he will leave Opo alone. Opo is 75lbs now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bird has been hanging around today. Flying around and sitting on branches in the tall pines. I am assuming he will leave Opo alone. Opo is 75lbs now.
I've never had any of my local hawks or ravens mess with my tortoises of any size at all. All of my adult torts live outside full time, and we have resident red tail hawks that raise babies in the pine trees that over look my tortoise pens every year. Ravens every where, crows, turkey vultures, Cooper's hawks, kestrels, Goshawks, etc... No problem ever.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I've never had any of my local hawks or ravens mess with my tortoises of any size at all. All of my adult torts live outside full time, and we have resident red tail hawks that raise babies in the pine trees that over look my tortoise pens every year. Ravens every where, crows, turkey vultures, Cooper's hawks, kestrels, Goshawks, etc... No problem ever.
That's good to hear. I have been keeping a eye on Opo, so I guess I won't worry.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I don't know enough to guess. I do know that Reds usually aren't as white as he seems underneath......and Whites sure don't have his top tail coloration.....but there are prob a dozen variations on that model bird....and I won't claim to know them! LOL
Florida red-tailed hawk
Alaska red-tailed hawk
Jamaican red-tailed hawk
Mexican Highlands red-tailed hawk
Tres Marias red-tailed hawk
Socorro red-tailed hawk
Red-tailed hawk
Central American red-tailed hawk
Cuban red-tailed hawk

In rural MD on Rt 301N/S, the hawks(Whites and Reds) gather in the trees on the Eastern side of the divided hwy in the morning, then poach the rodents and rabbits in the median between the lanes of 70mph traffic, completely unfazed by the cars/trucks!! In the afternoons, they switch to the other side so the sun remains on their backs. I saw several on the way home from Kerry's again.

Amazing hunting strategy! My guess is that there is something he has seen Ray and he's keeping a eye on it by sitting on the fence......could be he saw something cross the yard. Guess you'll find out over time.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Whatever may be the case or not, I would never leave any small tortoise, other reptile or any small animal exposed to the possibility of predation from above. If I had small tortoises outside any time, they would be covered with strong mesh wire overhead and all round. Yes, we have Red Tailed hawks here too.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I don't know enough to guess. I do know that Reds usually aren't as white as he seems underneath......and Whites sure don't have his top tail coloration.....but there are prob a dozen variations on that model bird....and I won't claim to know them! LOL
Florida red-tailed hawk
Alaska red-tailed hawk
Jamaican red-tailed hawk
Mexican Highlands red-tailed hawk
Tres Marias red-tailed hawk
Socorro red-tailed hawk
Red-tailed hawk
Central American red-tailed hawk
Cuban red-tailed hawk

In rural MD on Rt 301N/S, the hawks(Whites and Reds) gather in the trees on the Eastern side of the divided hwy in the morning, then poach the rodents and rabbits in the median between the lanes of 70mph traffic, completely unfazed by the cars/trucks!! In the afternoons, they switch to the other side so the sun remains on their backs. I saw several on the way home from Kerry's again.

Amazing hunting strategy! My guess is that there is something he has seen Ray and he's keeping a eye on it by sitting on the fence......could be he saw something cross the yard. Guess you'll find out over time.
Opo is 75lbs so I doubt he was thinking about him. The birds was present most of the day flying overhead and perched in the tall pines. There was some construction going on about 4 houses down., New homes and they were using a crane to set trusses. I was thinking that was disturbing his regular hang out.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Whatever may be the case or not, I would never leave any small tortoise, other reptile or any small animal exposed to the possibility of predation from above. If I had small tortoises outside any time, they would be covered with strong mesh wire overhead and all round. Yes, we have Red Tailed hawks here too.
I agree Tammy. when Opo was small I would never leave him alone outside. When the predator birds would get bolder. That was the time I would bring in Opo.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree Tammy. when Opo was small I would never leave him alone outside. When the predator birds would get bolder. That was the time I would bring in Opo.
I'm thinking maybe a snake left the construction area and came to visit you. Possibly the hawk saw it. I had a dove check out Sapphire in the past while he was on the ground with me sitting there. I figure it was because birds don't like snakes around because they eat eggs. Sapphire is a little Russian so I watch and make sure a hawk can't make a mistake and fly off with him. Opo is so big about the only thing a hawk could do is land on his back hoping to grab a snake.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I'm thinking maybe a snake left the construction area and came to visit you. Possibly the hawk saw it. I had a dove check out Sapphire in the past while he was on the ground with me sitting there. I figure it was because birds don't like snakes around because they eat eggs. Sapphire is a little Russian so I watch and make sure a hawk can't make a mistake and fly off with him. Opo is so big about the only thing a hawk could do is land on his back hoping to grab a snake.
That could be there are 6 new homes being built on my street right now. 3 right across the street. I have a vacant lot next to me and 8 undeveloped acres behind me. All the wildlife might be using the vacant lot next to me. To get to the property behind me.I wish the owner of the property next to me. Would sell to me,he hasn't acknowledged me yet 🤔

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I actually was checking out hawks on Google a few days ago, because I have one that I've seen around our house. The dang bird has hunted from my brothers car. (And the neighbors roof and another neighbors bush)🤔 I've seen one about 4 City blocks away also dive bombing a bush to catch a bird and got to wondering. What is their hunting range? I was thinking it might be the same hawk. Come to find out, the hawk down the street is probably the same bird.😁 Their range is 1.5 to 2 miles. Unless there's plenty of food in that radius there won't be another family allowed.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That could be there are 6 new homes being built on my street right now. 3 right across the street. I have a vacant lot next to me and 8 undeveloped acres behind me. All the wildlife might be using the vacant lot next to me. To get to the property behind me.I wish the owner of the property next to me. Would sell to me,he hasn't acknowledged me yet 🤔
Sending you hopes and prayers he'll get in touch. Sooner than later. 🤗🙏 And that you end up owning all of it 😘🤞