what type of box turtle? Gulf Coast maybe?

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baldwin Co, Alabama
I can't tell if he might be a gulf coast or an eastern. He was born in my outdoor enclosure by a turtle given to me 4.5 years ago. I'm in coastal AL.
He's the only male, the rest are females.
One - he's a horny little bugger
Two - he's related to everybody

I need to find him a new home before I have a crap ton of babies running around. But I'd like a better idea of what he is, I have a hard time figuring it out as the eastern and gulf coast seem similar to me.

IMG_20190223_122114 (1).jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I'm voting for Gulf Coast box turtle. My juvenile GCBT is a female, just over 3.5 inches SCL.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
To me, the Gulf Coast box turtles in the Florida panhandle often have heads that resemble the heads of Florida box turtles (T.c.bauri), but that's about as much as I've seen from the T.c.bauri influence.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@TLWR I'm guessing there's no easy way to divide your enclosure to keep your Romeo / Lothario / Casanova from the ladies?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@TLWR I'd be tempted to take him off your hands, but don't wait on my account if a good home becomes available. I would like to breed Junior when she matures, but that's still a few years off. We've been planning to build her an outdoor enclosure this year, but we hadn't anticipated the need for a completely separate (or at least divided) enclosure. We wouldn't be able to take him in unless we had his housing needs fully addressed and ready for him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@TLWR I'd be tempted to take him off your hands, but don't wait on my account if a good home becomes available. I would like to breed Junior when she matures, but that's still a few years off. We've been planning to build her an outdoor enclosure this year, but we hadn't anticipated the need for a completely separate (or at least divided) enclosure. We wouldn't be able to take him in unless we had his housing needs fully addressed and ready for him.
I was waiting for that :D