What type of box turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson

5 Year Member
image.jpg I found this wonderful turtle in my driveway today. About 7-8" long, very nice shell with spots. I walked him back out to the forest. He was a bit pissed off, but should be fine now.

Can anyone tell me what type of box turtle this is?

So much like a tortiose.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is a very colorful three-toed box turtle ( Terrapene carolina triunguis).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just assumed that the OP had measured up and over the carapace instead of in a straight line. Naturally, if the turtle is 8" in a straight line, front to back, it will be a gulf coast box turtle. But judging from the picture, I'm pretty sure it's not that big.

Jackson

5 Year Member
image.jpg I didn't break out the tape measure but he was indeed around 8 inches. His shell was about 4" high.

That Tera cotta saucer in the first picture was 6". He was much larger than it. His width was about equal to it. When his neck was fully extended in came out 4" or so.

So cool..

Btw- southern MS near the LA border.

image.jpg I was having a hard time with identification because none of the pictures I found looked like him/her...

This attached picture is a gulf coast. It looks very close.

Btw- what is the proper way to measure a turtle?

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
I agree, it's probably a three-toed. Beautiful turtle. :)Here's the eastern I found:

That eastern is wonderful...

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Thx!! And actually, yours looks MUCH like the Gulf Coast box turtle, I'm guessing it is. Three-toeds don't generally get that big, plus that pic of the Gulf Coast is a definite match.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
If its truly that big then mostly likely gulf coast. I've have had many threetoeds in my life and a 6-7 inches is big

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You measure in a straight line from the front edge of the shell to the back edge of the shell. Easiest way is to put the tape measure down on the floor with "0" up against the baseboard. The put the turtle next to it with his head inside his shell.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It does look more gulf coast than three toed to me, but more pictures would help.

Jackson

5 Year Member
image.jpg

Here's another.

image.jpg

And another.

image.jpg

And the last pic.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Definetly 100% Gulf coast female. YOu can tell by the size , but also the bifold cusp on the front upper jaw. Definetly not a 3toed or anyone other subspecies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree, the beak was the first thing to scream gulf coast to me. Also the eyes. Gulf coasts seem to have a certain look to the eyes. Not to mention she is large.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Definitely gulf coast. I've had two now. And the one you have could be a twin to mine.

Jackson

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help with identification everyone. She was magnificent. I wanted to keep her, but there's no way I could give her a better home than what she's got. The little streams and sub-tropical areas around here are a turtle paradise. The brush and vegetation is so thick and damp it was hard getting her back home.

Jackson

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
You measure in a straight line from the front edge of the shell to the back edge of the shell. Easiest way is to put the tape measure down on the floor with "0" up against the baseboard. The put the turtle next to it with his head inside his shell.

Thank you Yvonne G,

I'm gonna measure my little guys right now and start a log book. My cute little tort has turned into quite the project. Diet, temps, humidity, possible shell rot, possible infections, pyramiding ect....

It's a good thing I found this site.

image.jpg

Well, second one this week. This one has a different colors and is slightly smaller @ 6-3/4".

It wouldn't sit still for a photograph; kept turning and running. I could tell he was scared to death so I got him back to the forest immediately. I felt bad for messing with him, but at least I got him off the street...., or her.

Status
Not open for further replies.