What type of fish should i feed my three toed Box turtle?

EE torts

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hello!! I am adopting a three toad soon and wanted to know what type of fish i can feed them. I know not gold fish, but i was wondering if there our any types that i could breed.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello!! I am adopting a three toad soon and wanted to know what type of fish i can feed them. I know not gold fish, but i was wondering if there our any types that i could breed.

Small guppies and small bluegill is what I’ve used.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For animal protein for my box turtles, I use the occasional cooked chicken, moistened Purina Pro Plan dry cat food, night crawlers, hard boiled or scrambled eggs, but mostly, they get chopped up greens with canned cat food juice mixed in for smell and taste.

EE torts

USA
For animal protein for my box turtles, I use the occasional cooked chicken, moistened Purina Pro Plan dry cat food, night crawlers, hard boiled or scrambled eggs, but mostly, they get chopped up greens with canned cat food juice mixed in for smell and taste.
Okay thanks for the list

EE torts

USA
Small guppies and small bluegill is what I’ve used.
So since i would probably get them from a local pet store since i don't want to ship them, and a lot of them probably come sick because most probably will at the pet store if they wore sick would that hurt the turtle?

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Repashy has a good Gel Mix that has Fish/Krill in in called “Savory Stew”..I’ve heard some really positive reviews about it and ordered it for my new 6 mo Eastern baby coming this week ;) It lasts quite a while too!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have seen Oscars ( the fish) get sick bc of eating store feeder fish. I would probnably avoid it.
I've had Cichlids (fish) of over 1 pound die from diseases they got from tiny feeder fish from a pet store.
Breeding minnows or freshwater shrimp is what I'd do, or feed the cooked shrimp like has been suggested.

EE torts

USA
the feeder fish I see in pet stores do not look safe ..... I get mine either from the bait store , or I catch them myself ......
oh, okay! so will any fish i catch be safe or is there a specific species?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
oh, okay! so will any fish i catch be safe or is there a specific species?

i wouldn't feed them too much fish , it's really not naturally a large part of their diet , actually a very small part of their diet ….. i use a seine , the fish i feed are small, minnow sized , and i feed the whole fish organs and all …..., the only reason mine occasionally get fish is i have turtles whose diet is substantially fish ……..

EE torts

USA
i wouldn't feed them too much fish , it's really not naturally a large part of their diet , actually a very small part of their diet ….. i use a seine , the fish i feed are small, minnow sized , and i feed the whole fish organs and all …..., the only reason mine occasionally get fish is i have turtles whose diet is substantially fish ……..
Okay, i wasn't planning on feeding to often maybe every other month or so. So if i bought like two guppies from lets just say like Petsmart and they where sick could the box turtle get sick from thous fish if it ate it?

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Okay, i wasn't planning on feeding to often maybe every other month or so. So if i bought like two guppies from lets just say like Petsmart and they where sick could the box turtle get sick from thous fish if it ate it?

I wouldn’t feed anything from a Petsmart tank. Not even one. All it takes is one to make your turtle sick. If your really hell bent on feeding your turtle some type of fish, try to Repashy Gel Mix - Savory Stew. It is for meat eating omnivores such as land and aquatic turtles. It has fish/shrimp/krill in it. Totally safe and very good for them. I love Repashy products. IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0256.jpg

EE torts

USA
I wouldn’t feed anything from a Petsmart tank. Not even one. All it takes is one to make your turtle sick. If your really hell bent on feeding your turtle some type of fish, try to Repashy Gel Mix - Savory Stew. It is for meat eating omnivores such as land and aquatic turtles. It has fish/shrimp/krill in it. Totally safe and very good for them. I love Repashy products. View attachment 267706View attachment 267707
Okay looks great!!

EE torts

USA
Also what type of snails do people feed there box turtles i've heard so many people say they our really good for box turtles, but what kind of snail?

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Okay looks great!!

You can get it in different sizes depending on how big and how many box turtles you have. I used the Grassland Grazer Gel Mix for my Russian Tortoise before he passed and he went crazy for it. Repashy has a ton of different meal replacement/ Gel mixes for omnivores. I’ve always stood by their Calcium and All in One supplements but once I found out about the meal mixes, I decided to try and they have worked wonders. Customer Service is sweet too and easy to contact on Facebook as well [emoji16]