What type of heat lamp?

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
Hey everyone! I built my tort (russian) a new enclosure that's bigger, but that means that his light won't be enough to keep him warm. I've heard that heating lamps work well when I don't have a thermostat, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a strong heat lamp that would keep Louie warm.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Ceramic heat emitters work great. I've use them extensively for many animals. They come in many wattages. I typically use a 120 or 150 watt for a large enclosure to bring most of it to 85 degrees, with a 110/120 degree basking spot using a Mercury Vapor bulb/CHE working in unison. Far end will be 75 to 78 degree "cool side" which will be deep shaded (little to no light).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone! I built my tort (russian) a new enclosure that's bigger, but that means that his light won't be enough to keep him warm. I've heard that heating lamps work well when I don't have a thermostat, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a strong heat lamp that would keep Louie warm.
What size is the new enclosure?

What usually needs to happen is having two or three heat lamps over a larger table to warm a larger area. Any wattage will do, you just have to adjust the height to get the correct temperature under the lamp. I prefer 65 watt floods because they are cheap, work well and I can buy them in bulk packs. If you arrange two of them side by side, or three of them in a triangle, you can warm a large area. Depending on your room temperature they need to be around around 14-15 inches above the tortoise, but use your thermometer to set the height correctly for any bulb.

Denver, Colorado
What size is the new enclosure?

What usually needs to happen is having two or three heat lamps over a larger table to warm a larger area. Any wattage will do, you just have to adjust the height to get the correct temperature under the lamp. I prefer 65 watt floods because they are cheap, work well and I can buy them in bulk packs. If you arrange two of them side by side, or three of them in a triangle, you can warm a large area. Depending on your room temperature they need to be around around 14-15 inches above the tortoise, but use your thermometer to set the height correctly for any bulb.
it's 33 inches by 36 inches and the walls are about one foot high

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
it's 33 inches by 36 inches and the walls are about one foot high
Is your tortoise an adult sized Russian? You new enclosure is less than half the recommended size.

One basking bulb should be plenty in an enclosure that size. If you want ambient temp to be warmer during the day, you could hang a 150 watt CHE over the middle of it.

Denver, Colorado
Is your tortoise an adult sized Russian? You new enclosure is less than half the recommended size.

One basking bulb should be plenty in an enclosure that size. If you want ambient temp to be warmer during the day, you could hang a 150 watt CHE over the middle of it.
How big should an enclosure be? I'm really worried about this now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How big should an enclosure be? I'm really worried about this now
Tortoises need room to move. Locomotion helps with gut motility which helps with digestion. My minimum recommendation for an indoor enclosure is 4x8 feet, and larger outdoors. Your tortoise sin't going to keel over dead because your enclosure is on the small side. Its just better for it to be in something larger.