What type of Tortise is this 7 year old beauty?

nlipsett

Location (City and/or State)
Kailua Hawaii
1682802529002.png
What type of Tortise is this. I am being offered her via rescue ORG and need to know to take bfast care of her

Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 356540
What type of Tortise is this. I am being offered her via rescue ORG and need to know to take bfast care of her

Thank you
Hello and welcome. That is a leopard tortoise.

Check these out:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Indeed a leopard and that head of lettuce is not how or what it's fed, unless it is a small part of a much bigger better diet
Also realize it needs a very big enclosure hopefully outside at least in warm weather. An enclosure for inside would need to be a room.

nlipsett

Kailua Hawaii
Indeed a leopard and that head of lettuce is not how or what it's fed, unless it is a small part of a much bigger better diet
Also realize it needs a very big enclosure hopefully outside at least in warm weather. An enclosure for inside would need to be a room.

nlipsett

Kailua Hawaii
Thank you so much for all your help and that article was amazing. I live in Kailua Hawaii. However, this particular year is very wet and goes down to 70 and temp sometimes 69 at night which I find extremely chilly. I’m getting the tortoise with a roof that sits up on blocks and I will be putting up Macerated coconut husks for it to live in a to keep itself warmer and dry. I find it so gorgeous and so beautiful. I’ve been reading articles and all I can to be prepared. I meet her tomorrow. And then she’s going to have a month with me and if she’s very healthy and it seems good for her she’ll continue to live with me then and then I’ve already arranged with my adult children that they’ll take her as well as the Koi that I’ve been growing in my Pond since they both live upwards of 60 years and 73. I don’t have that much time left. I’m a little concerned about how wet it’s been and cool it’s been but it’s been living outside in a city called Kaneohe not far from me that’s even wetter.

I guess the most unknown in my situation is that I have a lot of vegetables growing and I do grow asparagus although everything‘s in raised beds and I will make sure the asparagus ferns are cut back, but I also have a bird of paradise, growing in big clumps all over the yard And a large avocado tree that drops leaves. Should I be worried about these since these are foods they shouldn’t eat? I have a boat 3000 square-foot backyard that it will be living in and able to free range wherever it wants and I will feed it in the same place every day kale and other things that I can eat I’m still trying to find out what fruits it can eat and I’ll make sure that it gets a combination of fruits and veggies if you know any place that has a really good book with natural foods that I can feed the tortoise, which I have named Sweet Willowmeana Hono, please let me know so I can ensure that I grow what is good for her to eat, and that she’s got the happiest of all tortoise life so I can give her in my yard and home, but not in the house ever.

They tell me that she only poops once a week and I find that disheartening I’m worried that she may be dehydrated or that she’s not getting the right diet but with your help of all of you on this bulletin board I am very very sure that you will tutor me in the best ways to enjoy a happy life with her thank you one and all Nancy

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The temps must be kept at 80 not lower specially when wet out. You will need to build it a heated night box, that it can go into when it's too cold, below 80. The wet isn't a problem as long as they are kept warm.
No fruit at all is to be fed and the leaves of the bird of paradise and the others you mentioned will be a problem and s/he should not have access to them.
As for your research, keep it to the info on this forum. Most of the info out on the web is old and outdated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much for all your help and that article was amazing. I live in Kailua Hawaii. However, this particular year is very wet and goes down to 70 and temp sometimes 69 at night which I find extremely chilly. I’m getting the tortoise with a roof that sits up on blocks and I will be putting up Macerated coconut husks for it to live in a to keep itself warmer and dry. I find it so gorgeous and so beautiful. I’ve been reading articles and all I can to be prepared. I meet her tomorrow. And then she’s going to have a month with me and if she’s very healthy and it seems good for her she’ll continue to live with me then and then I’ve already arranged with my adult children that they’ll take her as well as the Koi that I’ve been growing in my Pond since they both live upwards of 60 years and 73. I don’t have that much time left. I’m a little concerned about how wet it’s been and cool it’s been but it’s been living outside in a city called Kaneohe not far from me that’s even wetter.

I guess the most unknown in my situation is that I have a lot of vegetables growing and I do grow asparagus although everything‘s in raised beds and I will make sure the asparagus ferns are cut back, but I also have a bird of paradise, growing in big clumps all over the yard And a large avocado tree that drops leaves. Should I be worried about these since these are foods they shouldn’t eat? I have a boat 3000 square-foot backyard that it will be living in and able to free range wherever it wants and I will feed it in the same place every day kale and other things that I can eat I’m still trying to find out what fruits it can eat and I’ll make sure that it gets a combination of fruits and veggies if you know any place that has a really good book with natural foods that I can feed the tortoise, which I have named Sweet Willowmeana Hono, please let me know so I can ensure that I grow what is good for her to eat, and that she’s got the happiest of all tortoise life so I can give her in my yard and home, but not in the house ever.

They tell me that she only poops once a week and I find that disheartening I’m worried that she may be dehydrated or that she’s not getting the right diet but with your help of all of you on this bulletin board I am very very sure that you will tutor me in the best ways to enjoy a happy life with her thank you one and all Nancy
The ground coconut husks will do nothing to keep the tortoise warm and might be eaten, which could lead to impaction. Insulation like that only works for mammals and birds that gernneate their own heat. Skip the coco husk.

Like Wellington said, you need a heated shelter. Here is an example:
The tortoise is likely to get sick if you keep it outside with dampness and temps in the 60s or low 70s. The heated shelter will keep it healthy at night and it can bask in the sun on warm days.

The tortoise should not have access to any toxic leaves and plants.

Fruits and veggies are not the correct diet. Grasses and weeds are what you need. The diet is explained in the care sheet.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

it’s very sweet you want to take it in. It doesn’t sound like your yard “as is” would make a very good home for it. It’s really a matter of how much effort you want to put to your yard a healthy place for it, if not it might be better for the rescue group to find another home