What type of tortoise do I have?

Tyler Fulco

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a tortoise who is at least 10 years old and I don’t know what type of tortoise he is. Can you please help? Thank you.IMG_3848.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a desert tortoise, Tyler. Have you had it for 10 years?

I'm so glad you found our forum. It's not a good idea to keep a tortoise and not know what species it is, or if you're giving the correct care for that species. Also, since desert tortoises are protected in California, you'll need to contact one of the chapters of the California Turtle And Tortoise Club and apply for a permit to have the tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should have given you the correct name - Gopherus agassizii

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I didn't mean to put your back up. Just giving you information, not criticising.

Tyler Fulco

California
Sorry, I didn't mean to put your back up. Just giving you information, not criticising.

I know. Thank you for the helpful advice. Finally I know what type he is. Also what do you recommend for food. He likes cucumbers and apples.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know. Thank you for the helpful advice. Finally I know what type he is. Also what do you recommend for food. He likes cucumbers and apples.
See? both not good food for this species. They eat grass and weeds - plant matter. Fruit causes a parasite bloom and should be fed very sparingly. Any "vegetable" with seeds, such as cucumber, is a fruit. If you don't have grass for him to graze on you can buy dark, leafy greens, such as endive, escarole, turnip greens, etc. but it's much cheaper and healthier for the tortoise to feed him edible plants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tyler. Welcome to the forum.

I typed this up for Russian tortoises, but care for the desert tortoise is the same. There is info in there about housing, heating and diet too.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

This one should help too:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

The four biggest killers of DTs are:
1. The family dog. Or any dog.
2. Stones from dehydration. They need to be soaked and kept hydrated.
3. Hibernation problems from people leaving them outside in the yard to "hibernate". They can't do it well that way. Conditions are too inconsistent.
4. Sand impaction. Don't house them on sand, and this one can't happen.

Ask lots of questions. Were happy to help.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Excellent. I found this here introduction fast and easily. I read that y’all gots some great advice from Tom and Yvonne g. That’s excellent, they were the first two members I was gonna try to direct in your direction. And although it seems counterintuitive to bring them in in the winter time, it is safest for your tortoise. Same goes for the foodstuffs. These guy don’t find apples and cucumbers growing wild, they find grasses and weeds. Be bold! Ask questions! Some answers might seem harsh or insensitive, but things couldn’t be further away from that. Members are really just wanting to provide you with the best information to help you care for your tortoise. And you watch, soon you yourself will be answering questions about tortoises for new owners like yourself.
Cowboy Ken