What type of tortoise do you recommend in North Florida

MathGirl314

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I live in Northern Florida, which means most of the year (April - October/mid-November) we have the air conditioning on, but the rest of the year our windows are open, so the humidity changes a lot. I was originally looking at a Greek Tortoise, but when I saw that they need a specific humidity, I knew that it probably wouldn't work. So what type of tortoise do you recommend? Also, I'm a beginner at owning a tortoise and I would prefer one that lives inside. (If that's even possible) Edit: Also, since I'm a beginner preferably something on the small - maybe medium end size wise.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm biased, and lack much knowledge about the other species, but you should take a look at redfoots.

There are tons of great careguide here on TFO that should help you make your decision.

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Another vote for Redfoot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A greek would do fine in your area. Most species would with the right set up.

I prefer to have a large indoor set up for bad weather and a large outdoor enclosure for nice weather. The best of both worlds. Babies of any species should be started mostly indoors, and most species can live outdoors as an adult in your climate with a heated night box.

What most people don't initially give much thought to is that all tortoise species need large enclosures as adults. This makes indoor housing a challenge even for the smaller species. In your climate, a greek could live outside year round with a heated night box and some temperature control help. You could even hibernate it all winter if you want. A hermanni or marginated tortoise would also do well.

Redfoot tortoises benefit from high humidity, but it would be tough to house an adult indoors.