What type of tortoise is right for me? Partial to leopard

Melissa.

5 Year Member
I live in the midwest where the weather gets hot and humid in the summers, weather ranging from high 80's to 105. But I'm not sure that it matters since I live in a second level one bedroom apartment. So that crosses sulcatas off the list. Maybe one day...

I was interested in getting some red foots because they are adorable and seem to have great personalities, but now I am considering leopards as well. They're big, but not too big. But would it be unhappy growing up in my apartment for a while? My goal is to move back Colorado in about three years. Will leopards be happy in dry/cool climates? Every once in a while I could take it to my parents house and let it roam in the yard when it is warm. But I don't know if that's enough. I also have a small patio. Not much room but it could bask in the sun light.

What do you guys think? I would really love a leopard, but will it do okay in my type of situation? Should I stick to smaller tortoises?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't understand why you want us to help with your selection of a tort ?
I have Leopards ( 22 ) , Russians , Greeks , pancakes , Marginals , Hermanns , and 2 different Box Turtles and 5 AZ Desert torts . And I love all of them , they are all great but maybe not for you . But look up Greeks they are smaller have great moods . Good luck with your dession!:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises need a large outdoor enclosure to roam around in during fair weather as well as a large indoor enclosure. Leopards can get surprisingly large and active in three years, and what happens if something changes your plans?

It is physically possible to raise a baby tortoise in an apartment, but not ideal. Letting the tortoise roam loose anywhere is not a good idea. We just had a new member posting yesterday that lost his tortoise this way. Letting them roam on apartment grounds is dangerous because of all the landscaping chemicals. Even if they tell you they don't use them, they usually do.

I think you ought to wait to get a tortoise when you are in a house with a yard, and stick to other pets that are fine indoors only and in smaller spaces in the mean time. Ever checked out blue tongue skinks?

Dylanruenz

Phoenix, Arizona
You can learn a ton on this forum. Take a peek at different species and do your research to determine what fits YOU the best!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Welcome and I'm glad to see you are putting a lot of thought into this choice. I have leopards, and based on your plans, I would avoid leopards in your choices. The get big and need room, plus they like hot and humid, not cool and dry in Colorado. Too cold for them to enjoy outside, and they are too big for indoor enclosures. I'm not up on the other breeds, but I know you can find several that will be great torts for you.

Melissa.

5 Year Member
I ultimately want to have a sulcata one day. I thought that perhaps a leopard will work fine for now. But I will just wait until I move to own a large tortoise. Will a sulcata do fine in Colorado? For now, I'm thinking about red foots.

mijojr

South Dakota
I would stay away from sulfates that far north. A third of the year you will have to provide a massive enclosure for him. And you need a big yard...

Melissa.

5 Year Member
I don't remember how to post a new thread...
I was wondering if a healthy smooth adult could start to pyramid with improper care, or If it happens as they are babies?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't remember how to post a new thread...
I was wondering if a healthy smooth adult could start to pyramid with improper care, or If it happens as they are babies?
I'm not an expert on this - or anything else really - but from what I've read since I joined I would think that pyramiding could start at any age if humidity is not addressed as shells are growing all the time. Will be interested to see what more experienced keepers say.

With regards to your original question - I have a 2/3 year old leopard and he is already 10.5 inches long and needs lots of space to roam so not really the best species for an apartment.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
To start a new thread go the forum you want to post on and at the top right of the page is a green box that says "POST NEW THREAD" click on this, add your title and then enter your information as usual.