What type of tortoise is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laldra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
iowa
This tortoise came into the shelter as a hinge backed, but it isn't. I have no idea what it is.

Attachments

• p_00002.jpg
    p_00002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 102
  • p_00001.jpg
    p_00001.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 73
  • p_00003.jpg
    p_00003.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 62
  • p_00005.jpg
    p_00005.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 61

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yes it is a hingeback tortoise. More specifically, a male Kinixys belliana nogueyi. Where are you located? Any specifics from the previous owner? Please let me know as I am interested.

Laldra

5 Year Member
iowa
We don't have any tortoises for adoption now. This one will not be up for adoption for awhile and may be transfered to a reptile rescue. He is not in the best of health, because his owner has been feeding him only iceberg lettuce.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Laldra is in Iowa.

Hi Laldra:

Welcome to the forum!!

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
I sent up a PM about this guy.

Laldra said:
We don't have any tortoises for adoption now. This one will not be up for adoption for awhile and may be transfered to a reptile rescue. He is not in the best of health, because his owner has been feeding him only iceberg lettuce.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
emysemys said:
I think Laldra is in Iowa.

Hi Laldra:

Welcome to the forum!!
Yes, Des Moines area.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How many claws are on the front legs? That will tell for sure what subspecies of Bell's hingeback it is.

Danny

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Danny,
It looked like four to me. That was why I suggested it was Kinixys belliana nogueyi. Regardless of which subspecies it is, that guy needs to get into a breeding program to pass along his genes. Any thoughts?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes he does :D and yes he does look like he has 4 claws (but always good to get confirmation from the source :D)
Sad to say though, most rescues don't like people breeding tortoises that are rehomed :(

Danny

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yes, that is what I was told when I inquired about him. Perhaps we can change their mind when they realize how important he is to the survival of his species.

egyptiandan said:
Yes he does :D and yes he does look like he has 4 claws (but always good to get confirmation from the source :D)
Sad to say though, most rescues don't like people breeding tortoises that are rehomed :(

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would love to take him in and if the shelter doesn't wish for him to go into a breeding program (even tho I really think he should be in one), then I would have no problem with sticking with their wishes. My main concern is just to get him into a home that understands Hingebacks.

Laldra

5 Year Member
iowa
I will tell everyone when it is up for adoption. You can all fight with the adoption counslers about the breeding clause.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would encourage the rescue to source us if there are any questions as hingebacks have some particular needs and we have a group here that has some experience with these guys.

Laldra

5 Year Member
iowa
I've printed off the care sheet from tortoise trust. Is there anything else important? He is already better off then he has been for the last 10 years.

Laldra

5 Year Member
iowa
The hidgeback is being transfered from the Animal Rescue League of Iowa to Iowa Reptile Rescue. You will need to contact them for more info www.iowareptilerescue.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.