What type of tortoise is this?

Syrtros

Location (City and/or State)
Sylacauga, Alabama
I've only ever owned two baby sulcata tortoises, so I found this tortoise in the road about to get ran over and grabbed him, can you help me identify his species and tell me if it's safe to let him out into the Alabama woods.20190616_182029.jpg 20190616_183153.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's a box turtle. If it is native where you live and you found it in the wild leave it alone or take it back where it came from.
I believe it's an Eastern Box, but I'm not good at IDing the different ones.

Syrtros

Sylacauga, Alabama
That's a box turtle. If it is native where you live and you found it in the wild leave it alone or take it back where it came from.
I believe it's an Eastern Box, but I'm not good at IDing the different ones.
I thought it was an eastern box turtle but its face and legs when I found it didnt look much like an eastern box turtle, but I'm releasing it a short ways down from where it was, I just wanted to make sure it would be okay in the wild.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's an Eastern box turtle. Release it close to where you found it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Definetly release near where you found it. They are very territorial. Will literally kill itself trying to get back to its territory.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I thought it was an eastern box turtle but its face and legs when I found it didnt look much like an eastern box turtle, but I'm releasing it a short ways down from where it was, I just wanted to make sure it would be okay in the wild.
Depending how far south you are (how close to the Gulf of Mexico you are), the turtle might show signs of being a Gulf Coast box turtle (T.c. major). The shell is consistent with those I've seen from the Florida Panhandle. That might explain the difference in head and leg markings.

Syrtros

Sylacauga, Alabama
Depending how far south you are (how close to the Gulf of Mexico you are), the turtle might show signs of being a Gulf Coast box turtle (T.c. major). The shell is consistent with those I've seen from the Florida Panhandle. That might explain the difference in head and leg markings.
Ah okay, thank you.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's an Eastern box turtle. Release it close to where you found it.
I don't know how true this is but someone is posting on Facebook every once in awhile that box turtles only travel a mile from their home territory and will travel their whole life trying to get home. If released after captivity. Is their territory really only one mile? I accidentally tapped the reply but saw you and decided to reply anyway because you've always tried to give me some good advice. Thanks.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't know how true this is but someone is posting on Facebook every once in awhile that box turtles only travel a mile from their home territory and will travel their whole life trying to get home. If released after captivity. Is their territory really only one mile? I accidentally tapped the reply but saw you and decided to reply anyway because you've always tried to give me some good advice. Thanks.
Yes that is what is generally thought that they have a really small territory. That's one reason for their dwindling numbers. People see them crossing the road, pick them up and bring them somewhere else and release them.

Syrtros

Sylacauga, Alabama
Yes that is what is generally thought that they have a really small territory. That's one reason for their dwindling numbers. People see them crossing the road, pick them up and bring them somewhere else and release them.
I made sure to release him close to home, I wouldn't have taken him with me if I was too far out to take him back or near. Thank you for the information!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes that is said to be true.
However they should not be released after captivity of too much time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I made sure to release him close to home, I wouldn't have taken him with me if I was too far out to take him back or near. Thank you for the information!
I had a similar issue last year with a Midwest Paint. My neighbor brought her to my front door because he thought my tortoise had somehow gotten loose. (Nottt!!!) My neighbor had found her trying to cross our really busy street and neighborhood cats were messing with her. I put her in my backyard enclosure for 24 hours and released her just a few feet from where she was picked up (from advice of our state fish and wildlife). What was really cute when I released her was that she came and scratched at my front door. Then she spent time in a flower bed next to the front door (I was able to watch from my living room window) and then probably went home. I really think that the right thing happened for that turtle because of all the rain that we've been having the past couple of years. She may have traveled further from the river near us, because of flooding issues, to lay eggs. It's always right to help them cross a road but then how do they get back home? Anyway, I think you helped a little turtle.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

It also has the flared carapace characteristic of Terrapene carolina major which is the largest and most aquatic of the carolina group. I think you're right @Pastel Tortie.